You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
iPad 2 photo app sort order #1
Tom Carroll's picture
by Tom Carroll
October 23, 2012 - 9:53am

I have a massive case of heartburn. I recently bought an iPad 2 primarily to transport and view my photographs sorted by file name. Apparently, the photo app won’t sort by imported file name. Specifically, I create a photo project in Aperture, I reorder the photos in Aperture, I add PowerPoint jpg title slides to the project, I reorder the photos and the title slides in the required order, I export the Aperture photo versions using a newly created file name that indicates the preferred sort order. I point to the project using iTunes and ingest the project into the iPad 2. When I view the photos using the iPad photo app, the photos are displayed NOT in the file name order but apparently in the date modified order. I’ve gotten a number of mixed signals on this issue and have been unable to find a third-party app capable sorting photos using the ingested file name; hence, my massive heartburn. I would like to avoid creating and storing preview jpgs in Aperture every time a want to add a new photo project to my iPad. Do you know of any way to view ingested jpg photos on an iPad according to the only natural, sensible sort order (if you can have only one) —– namely, sort by ingested file name.

Many thanks.

Tomcarroll77@gmail.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 24, 2012 - 7:37am

Tom,

Order sorting on the iPad Photos app remains a mystery.

There are many portfolio type applications though that will let you customize order of images. I’d search the App Store for “photo portfolio”. On first glance, I see one called Photo Manager Pro for $2.99 that offers to “sort photos by dates, filenames, types or custom sort sequence”. There are many more apps as well.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Tom Carroll's picture
by Tom Carroll
October 25, 2012 - 6:17am

Thanks, Joseph –

iPad sort order is worse than you know. I have purchased Photo Manager Pro a few months ago because I saw in my brother’s copy that it could “sort by file name” — problem solved says I. WRONG. I imported jpg with file names, selected “sort by file name” and the software did NOT sort by file name. My understanding is that Photo Manager Pro will only sort by file name if one enters a file name for each photograph after said photograph has been ingested by Photo Manager Pro — that approach is a total non-starter for projects of 200-300 images. Moreover, I have been told that the iPad photo app does NOT have the ability to ingest the associated file name from the metadata? Is that true? If so, can you possibly imagine a more stupid implementation of an app intended to be a photo app? I have looked at other photo apps and found NONE that can sort photo by IMPORTED file name — but only file names added subsequent to file import. Lastly, I have heard that the photo sort issue is a function of the iOS; specifically, iOS3 did, in fact, sort by imported file name and I kinda remember that being the case a few years ago. But now iOS6 sorts by “date modified” which is, of course, fantastically ludicrous. It would make as much sense to sort by file size! or sort by the ambient air temperature at the time the photograph was taken!

Any other thoughts? Many thanks —

TC

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 25, 2012 - 6:27am

“Ambient air temperature”… ooh I like that one ;-)

Sounds mind numbingly stupid, I’ll give you that.

OK so let’s work around the limitations. You already have your photos in alphanumeric order so they can sort in the Finder as you want them, right. So now let’s “change” each file so that its modification date changes to now, now+1, now+2, etc.

Check out a file renaming app like A Better Finder Rename or NameChanger (just google them). Maybe renaming the file will be enough to change the modification date, and therefore change their sort order?

If that’s not enough, an EXIF tool might be able to make the change. Look up ExifChanger for that.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Tom Carroll's picture
by Tom Carroll
October 25, 2012 - 6:30am

I’ll give it a shot — many thanks.

TC

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?