You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
iPhoto album photo imports not consecutive #1
Bob Neubert's picture
by Bob Neubert
January 28, 2011 - 9:40am

A few days ago I bought Aperture 3.1.1, mostly to use its photo-editing tools for enhancing images in iPhoto albums, which would then be sent to iMovie for creating DVDs. Alas, Aperture doesn't seem to allow iPhoto album photos to import in the same order that I've spent many hours arranging for slideshows and DVDs. How can iPhoto album pix be exported into Aperture so that they retain the same order? Resorting hundreds of images per album imported into Aperture seems like a waste of time. I don't see this issue addressed in iPhoto or Aperture Help, online forums, Google searches, etc.

Bob Neubert's picture
by Bob Neubert
February 5, 2011 - 10:07am

Joseph,

Thanx for the excellent info. Looks like your approach could work well. However, I stall after selecting an iPhoto album and setting up Export with settings as you suggest. When I then press Export, I’m not able to connect directly to Aperture (shows as greyed out in my Applications folder). This must be some elementary move that I’m too brain-dead to figure out, but it does stop me from proceeding with the Export. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 5, 2011 - 1:19pm

Bob,

It’s a two-step process. You have to export to a folder on the desktop, then import them into Aperture. You can’t export “into” an application; that’s not a technique supported by any software.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bob Neubert's picture
by Bob Neubert
February 5, 2011 - 4:15pm

Joseph,

Got it. Sorry I spaced out on need to export pix into folder on desktop. Once I did that, then I was able to follow through with your instructions after more familiarization with the Aperture layout. Again, many thanks for your recommendations. And patience.

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 2, 2011 - 7:02am

Bob,

I’m assuming it’s the photo order you’re referring to, not the album order, correct?

I just tried the following and it worked perfectly. Hopefully this does what you need.

After arranging four photos into a clearly non-original order… [screenshot]

I exported the master files using the following settings: [screenshot] (you can do the same as JPG but if the point is to utilize Aperture’s advanced adjustment tools, you should start from scratch on adjustments—NOT add on to any adjustments you’ve made in Aperture). The File Name is what’s critical here; you can probably set it to a sequence with number as well as Album name with number.

The output looked like this: [screenshot]

As you can see, the numbered output is the same as the manually arranged order in iPhoto.

When you import into Aperture, be sure you don’t rename the files, messing up your named-order [screenshot]

Once you import these into Aperture, just sort by name and they will be in the same order as iPhoto [screenshot].

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness