You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
JPEG output not similar to whats seen in Aperture #1
Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 1, 2011 - 6:02pm

For some time i have problems exporting photos from Aperture meaning that the export is way off in color/sharpness etc.
One example: http://files.myopera.com/jkp1/albums/22758/Billedfremviser002.jpg
I tried to check onscreenproofing if that made any difference, but no.
I´m a bit stuck, never had such differences in Aperture before.
Any idea ?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 2, 2011 - 12:32am

I have been testing around today…..
Export of a non-adjusted photo seems ok.
Export of a basically adjusted photo seems ok
Export of a photo adjusted and with a adjustment preset is somehow different
Export of a photo with more than 1 adjustment preset is different in the exported jpg compared to what it look like in aperture ….
Hmmm…..

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 1:16am

K P,

Very odd. Are these my adjustment presets you’re working with?

What would help is if you can post an Aperture library with one photo and a few version as you’ve explained in it, so I can reproduce the problem ehre. To do that, just move one set of images into a new Album, select the Album and choose File > Export > Album as New Library (make sure that the Master file is included in it so I can do an export here). Post that Library somewhere where I can download it; you can use the ApertureExpert drop box if you like (from the MORE menu at the top of this window, choose DROP BOX.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 2, 2011 - 2:10am

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for your reply.
No, it´s not your preset´s :-)
I will try to prepare the library….but….takes some time as Aperture is busy exporting 1080P movie.
I will make a note here when the library is uploaded.

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 2, 2011 - 4:48am

File uploaded :-)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 8:45am

K P,

I think the difference you’re seeing is simply due to not viewing it at 100%. In Aperture, look at the same photo zoomed to fit and zoomed to 100%. It looks dramatically different. I would attribute that to so much over-sharpening that many lines are super thin, down to a single pixel or sub-pixel, and when you view (or export) it compressed even more at less than 100%, the lines cram together and color shifts appear.

Export your photos at 100%, then scale them in Preview—you’ll see the same effect.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 2, 2011 - 3:01pm

Thank you again for your reply :-)
But the problem here…. i have never seen such shifts in output, but always got predictable export results and prints….even when doing oversharpening for achieving a specific look (which may not be naturally looking but more “graphical”). Something must have changed lately…
Right….i seldom use 100% view, but editing in full screen, and as said….never had this kind of problems so still wondering strongly. One should be able to get outputs as seen in full screen.
Earlier i edited photos as a natural representing of the composition, for the last one-two years i have more and more been using Aperture to make prints for more “art”-like or graphical views of the shots, in many cases not natural looking at all, lately combining info/photo elements from more than one photo in one. 100% view is not good for this kind of work.
Can i ask you one thing ? What would be your choices/settings of applying sharpening for that particular shot (the unedited version) to get a natural looking photo/output with “maximum” or best possible sharpness results ?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 2, 2011 - 5:50pm

More “fun”…..
this photo has even more sharpening, but export is just like screen.
http://files.myopera.com/jkp1/albums/22758/Alternative%20shot.jpg
(left is exported jpeg, right shown in Aperture browser)
So…not stable output results ? Or..?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 11:23pm

K P,

I can’t advise on “optimal” settings. Every photo is different, and sharpening is a bit of an art form. Sharpening requirements will be quite different depending on size of output, and if it’s for screen or print, what print resolution, etc. Even in the Print dialog in Aperture, you can apply sharpening just for printing. It’s very, very specific.

It’s possible that some export algorithm changed in a recent update to the OS; that I don’t know. If you want more control, then I’d suggest outputting from Aperture at 100%, then opening that in Photoshop and downsampling in stages there, where you can use different algorithms for the scaling (bicubic, nearest neighbor, etc) and experimenting there.

I think the reason your most recent sample is different is simply the content. This photo, of rocks and the door, has large blocks of color. Compare that to the trees, which have millions of tiny leaves that are rendering at a single pixel wide, and there’s the difference. And that would make a HUGE difference.

Why don’t you go back to some of the photos you worked on before, where you’ve already output it and know what to expect, and output them again today. That will tell you if there’s a difference in the actual rendered output, or if it’s simply because of the content of the photo.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 3, 2011 - 4:12am

Joseph,
thank you for bothering to reply on my troubles, really nice of you :-)
I think i will do what you suggested….find some of the photos printed or published for some months ago and check output now.
Again thanks !

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness