9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Keyword confusion #1
James Fisher's picture
by James Fisher
November 18, 2012 - 4:29am

Can anyone help please?
I'm getting totally confused with my use and understanding of keywords
I have 1000's of photos with keywords but it seems a bit hit and miss when it comes to searching
For example.
I have 125 photos with the keywords Japan.
I can see them when I navigate thru the library but with it comes to using the search filter and keyword = Japan (and nothing else) it produces nothing

I select the Main Library
Click on filter search (top right)
Find the the keyword and check Japan
Result = zero photos

The structure of my library
Main library
Folders for each year (2012) with
projects for each photo session eg. Trip to Japan

Am I correct that I should be able to search on a keyword across the whole library irrespective of where the key worded photo are grouped e.g.. different projects, different years etc

Thanks for any help.
James

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
November 22, 2012 - 1:17pm

I can confirm that the number of keywords shown in the Keyword HUD does not match the number of images that are displayed when filtered by the same keyword. In my case there is a difference of 3 (406 vs. 403). I can confirm the 403 count when viewing the images in list view, so I have no confidence in the number of keywords reported in the HUD (406). Looks like it’s best to ignore the count in the HUD, as DBmoore indicated. This is not good. To say the least. Anyone have any reason as to why they don’t match??

James Fisher's picture
by James Fisher
November 21, 2012 - 7:35pm

Hi, thanks for reply.
I rebuilt the Aperture library and pictures have returned.

However I do have another keyword question that maybe related.

Again I select the Photos icon under the library name at the top of the library panel, as you say.
Select the filter as before and tick keywords.
There are a number of keywords that don’t have any photos associated with them. i.e. when the selected single keyword is ticked no photos are found.
Other selected keywords do display photos but certain ones don’t.
To double check I select the keyword hud and see a number along side of the keyword indicating the quantity of associated photos. This is further confirmed when I try and delete the keyword in the hud and Aperture warns that there are the same quantity of photos assigned to the keyword are about to be deleted.
So the question is how do I find the photos that are assigned to the keyword?

I have spent ages trying to clean up my keyword list and would appreciate any help offered.

Cheers.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 22, 2012 - 12:19am

James you have described what I ignore. I have never found the Filter keywords list to match exactly what the Keyword Hud has and visa versa. I haven’t rebuilt the lib in 3 or four months but will try that and let you know. I think that the keywords have always been off. I have a smart album for missing keywords and check it regularly. But again trying to match the hud with the filter probably is futile at this time. Perhaps a rebuild will work for me but Ive done so many over the years I doubt it. cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
November 18, 2012 - 10:04pm

Your assumption about searching the whole library is correct.

When you say “I select the main library” do you mean that you click “Photos” under the library name at the top of the Library panel?

Capitalization–Are you consistent in your entry of keywords? The keyword “Japan” is different than the keyword “japan”.

Are there any other settings applied when you search for the keywords? Are the “Any/”All” and “Match/Do Not Match” dropdowns set properly?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
November 24, 2012 - 7:22pm

“Capitalization–Are you consistent in your entry of keywords? The keyword “Japan” is different than the keyword “japan”.”

This particular bugaboo has always struck me as profoundly stupid and annoying - it occurs in a number of apps not just in Aperture.

It should be the work of moments to include a check box to turn case sensitivity on and off and I think it is a silly oversight not to do so.

James Fisher's picture
by James Fisher
November 25, 2012 - 6:17am

Thanks for all replies.

Regarding ‘Japan’ vers ‘japan’ I used initial capitals on both.
I guess I would have seen that there were 2 versions in the filter.
The reason I’m talking in the past as rebuilding the library seems the to have fixed this specific problem. I still have others though.
Judging by other comments made the keyword system is a bit flaky so I’m worried about wasting time.
Although thanks to this forum I would still be struggling.

I made screen grabs to illustrate the problem but found difficulties in embedding them into this forum. Illustrations makes it so much easier to explain the problem.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
November 25, 2012 - 6:45am

Keep in mind - because Aperture allows for a keyword hierarchy, you could have one Japan keyword at the top level, and another Japan keyword under “Countries”, for example. Same spelling, but completely different internally. Not sure if this is what you were experiencing, but something to consider.

James Fisher's picture
by James Fisher
November 25, 2012 - 8:01am

Hi Tim,

Understood.
Using the filter search (Top right) having selected the main library the list often shows the hierarchy in brackets after the keyword.
Although this evening I keyword’d Spain under under 2 levels i.e. Places/Holidays
Spain still only appears at one level in the filter.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?