You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lens in ACR and setting #1
Cristian Pianta's picture
by Cristian Pianta
July 30, 2012 - 4:48pm

Hello to all,
Please I need your help about the problem that I have with ACR.
When I export the image from Aperture 3.3.2 to ACR 7.1 the lens is not identified.
Is also possible to know how to set Aperture to work correctly with Photoshop.
Many thanks.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
July 30, 2012 - 7:48pm

I am not too sure about ACR, have never used it

To make aperture work with photoshop you would go to Aperture > Preferences > External.

Choose photoshop as your external editor. For external editor file format I have mine set to Tiff (16bit) with a dpi of 300

Then right click on your photo and choose the top option of ‘edit with photoshop’

When you have finished editing your photo choose the save option in photoshop, not save as, and then it will put it back in to the aperture workflow.

Hope that helps one of your Q’s.

Cristian Pianta's picture
by Cristian Pianta
July 30, 2012 - 9:10pm

Many thanks, I already set as you suggest but is not possible to save and come back in Aperture.
Only one time was possible to come back and if I try to make undo from external editor Aperture put my photo in the trash, incredible.
For the lens, I tried with Photo Mechanic to send the photo in ACR.
The lens is identified correctly.
I suppose that aperture change the information when send the photo to external editor.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 6:57am

Christian,

When you say “it is not possible to save and come back to Aperture”, you need to explain what is or isn’t happening. Just telling us it isn’t possible doesn’t help us to help you.

As far as the metadata not exporting, I have heard issues before where Aperture doesn’t send metadata out properly, but there are a few things you can do to check to see where the problem is. View the metadata (Info palette) in Aperture to see if you can see the lens model there. If not, then Aperture never read it from the file. Open the original RAW file in ACR and does it see the lens data? If so, then Aperture is failing to read it. You can force Aperture to re-read the Metadata by selecting Metadata > Update from Original and see if it shows up.

If the metadata is showing up in Aperture but not on the exported file, then it sounds like that field is being dropped for some reason. Try exporting a file as a TIF or PSD from the export menu, then opening that file in Photoshop, to see if the lens info shows up then.

Try to figure out where this metadata is being dropped, and once you figure that out, try to find a way around it.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?