You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Library exporting #1
Adam Faulkner's picture
by Adam Faulkner
February 23, 2012 - 11:45pm

Hi all.

I have a A3 managed library. Is there a way I can export a project just with thumb nail images so I can copy to a laptop for reviewing on the road. Which I can then merge with the main project and update all the images with the star ratings made on the laptop.

My projects are about 1500 - 2000 images in size and I dont really have the time or disk space to copy a full size project with all the master files.

I think if my library used referenced files then I could do this but I want to keep everything in a managed library.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Adam

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 24, 2012 - 3:51am

Adam,

I don’t use managed library, but I don’t think there’s a difference when you export as Library… if you select a Project (or Projects, albums, whatever) and choose Export > (selection) as New Library, do you not see the option to “consolidate Masters”? [screenshot].

Hm but come to think of it there would be a little complication; if you exported a Project from a managed library, and didn’t include the masters then when you brought it back in, would it merge properly? Hmm

I say try it; just make a small project with a few photos and see what happens.

If however you do NOT have the options to not include the Masters, then do this. For a project you want to move to your laptop, on the main Mac, just relocate those masters temporarily. If they are on the same drive (make a folder like “temporary master relocation” and leave it there) then it’ll be a move, not a copy, and will happen very quickly. Then you can export the project as a new Library, and NOT include masters. Copy the Library to your other Mac, do what you’re going to do, then bring it back. After you’ve imported and merged, then you can Consolidate masters for that project. Again it’ll happen very quickly since it’s a move not a copy, and you’ll be back in business.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 12, 2013 - 6:10am

Helen .. your flash drive is probably formatted as FAT32 (Windows) format. You have to format it as HFS+ Journaled filesystem using Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. This will erase the entire flash drive so make sure you copy everything off of it onto your Mac, then format the flash drive, then copy everything back to it.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 12, 2013 - 6:12am

Adam .. I keep my master library (managed, not referenced) on an external USB3 1TB drive that is USB powered. I keep multiple copies of this drive. The master and one copy go with me everywhere. It might be a good option for you too. Just plug the master USB drive into the laptop and you are good to go. This is much easier than exporting pieces parts and having to merge updates back into your master later.

Helen Penet's picture
by Helen Penet
February 11, 2013 - 5:14pm

Hi,

I have also tried to export an aperture project as a new library (in order to reopen the library on another computer belonging to my boss where I will be working). I get this message: The library could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is not supported.
I am trying to copy the new library to my USB stick. (When I imported the images, I imported ‘Folders as Projects’ as they were in well organized folders which I needed to retain).
I already posted some questions about working on Aperture files from 2 different computers: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21141506?ac_cid=op123456#21141506
Unfortunately my boss needs to work on the files when I’m not there so I do not see how we can work simultaneously on Aperture well, especially as I cannot export worked on projects as a new library as others suggested.

I hope you follow my query which is rather complicated.

We both have Max OS X 10.7.5.

Thanks for your help,

Helen

Paul Einarsen's picture
by Paul Einarsen
July 31, 2012 - 8:17am

This is really helpful. I have the same issue and am just trying to create a small version of the aplibrary that can be posted to Dropbox and picked up by an associate to edit remotely.

Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 9:09am

Paul,

Be sure your associate moves the Aperture library out of the shared DropBox folder before opening it. I could be wrong (and this would be worth checking with DropBox tech support), but I’m pretty sure that DB will not understand that the Library (which is a package) is being edited and could start syncing while it’s open. I believe there’s a real risk there of messing with your library if that happens.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness