You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Library Problem #1
Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 20, 2013 - 7:59pm

I am on the road, presently in the Philippines.

I have a library for this 2 month shoot on a WD Passport drive and a separate drive with a Vault on it.

Tonight I had some downtime for the first time in about a week and wanted to edit some shots taken earlier in the week.

I connected everything up and found the shots, which is when I started to get a bit uneasy. Where the histogram should be in the inspector, it just says “Image Not Found” - although the image seems to be displayed.

I tried editing the image in one of the Nik plug ins and got the message

“One or more of the selected version has a original file which is still being imported. Please wait for the file copy to complete and try again.”

However there is no import taking place and I imported the files in question from CF cards a week ago. They have been worked on before and were fine until tonight.

I tried restarting the Mac, rebuilding the library and just about anything else but I can't solve it and I can't find another case of it!

Joseph - or anyone - do you know what has happened and how to recover from it?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 26, 2013 - 9:18am

Now that I am in Saigon, the interweb works again - sorry for the delayed reply!

The files are supposed to be managed but show as referenced with missing masters.

I have checked the package contents and as far as I have been able to ascertain, the masters really are missing. Only the low res previews are showing anywhere.

They do not show in Backblaze either so I can only assume that Aperture appeared to import from the card but then somehow did not actually properly do so. This is really odd as the images appeared absolutely fine following the import and I emailed a couple etc. No warning triangles showed or anything.

It looks like they are gone forever despite theoretically being in a separate Vault back up, a Backblaze backup and the original library as well.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 21, 2013 - 11:09am

Just to add some additional info:

I restored the library from a Vault and sadly the problem remains: the images are there on screen and can be viewed but not worked on or exported etc.

They show an arrow and a yellow triangle in the bottom right corner.

I also searched my Backblaze files for the relevant files and they are not there either, so it seems that some kind of almighty data mess up has occurred somewhere!

Martin De's picture
by Martin De
June 22, 2013 - 9:44pm

You write that you found the shots.
Is that in the Aperture library or on the WD drive? If they are on the drive it could be that the drive name is altered for some reason. Then Aperture cannot find the photos anymore.

Greetz, Martin

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 22, 2013 - 11:55pm

This sounds like the infamous “Aperture Loses Originals” bug. It is a known bug, but Apple unfortunately has not yet released a fix. I have been told that one is forthcoming but (as with all things Apple) no information has been shared regarding when.

Your situation demonstrates why it is so important to have multiple backups. I hope you are able to find your originals. I lost some that will never be recovered. Fortunately for me they were not for a paying client.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2013 - 12:47am

Marcus,

You didn’t say if you were importing managed or referenced, but it sounds like managed since you’re using the Vault for backup and didn’t specify that you’re backing up the originals separately.

Open the package and look inside for the Originals. Worst case, pull them out (you can do a finder search within the package for .NEF or .CR2 or whatever your format is) and pull them from there. Then create a new library and import again.

Was the backblaze backup complete? Did you look inside the package on backblaze?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert
• Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?
•• Have you picked up your copy of the Nik Collection for just $126? This deal won’t last forever!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness