You are here

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Library processing after 3.3 #1
Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 28, 2012 - 7:51am

Is anyone else's library still undergoing lengthy 'processing' following the recent update?

Mine has been at it every time I open the app and still has 7,000 to go generating previews!!

It slows the machine down. I suppose I should leave it to run overnight but I d wish they would be clearer that things like this are going to happen.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 28, 2012 - 11:39pm

Well last night I thought I was ok but this morning Im having trouble opening AP. last night I finished building thumbnails (self indicted error). I Had a number of problems on this Ap3.3 upgrade. but now I think my chattering HD where the lib is is now asking for a replacement. As for your lengthy processing…. once its done it should be done. How much Ram and how much freespace % do you have left on the Lib Hd? AP is a power house that eats ram and graphic cards ram for breakfast. Good luck post back info

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
June 29, 2012 - 3:20am

Hi Marcus, I was JUST about to post the exact same issue. Since upgrading to A 3.3 I noticed that shortly after launching the app (10-60 seconds) it begins processing something and scrolling and general navigation of Aperture becomes “jerky”. Since I have an iMac with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD, there is no reason for such performance. Upon close inspection, I found out that Aperture is busy generating previous for! some 7000+ images! How bizarre is that? My library is referenced and has some 40000+ photos in it. I messed with the “generate preview” settings as Joseph described but I can’t get rid of the behavior and it comes back every time I launch Aperture no matter how I set the preview generation. The bizarre thing is that you also mention 7k. Anyone, any ideas?

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
June 29, 2012 - 8:43am

Took about an hour or so for my library (about 60k images), and the only think different I notice now is the slowness when exiting as it updates the images for preview.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 4, 2012 - 10:49pm

Just a quick addition, last night I let Aperture finish the generation of the 7000+ previews. Then let it run. The iMac went to sleep mode and when I woke it up this morning, Aperture began generating the 7000+ previews again. Definitely a BUG! So not even a relaunch is necessary!

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 5, 2012 - 12:01am

Boy that must be frustrating for both of you. When I get frustrated I start doing a tune up on the whole machine. These are things you might of done already but ill say it again. Safe boot to clear up unseen stuff then reboot, fsck from single user mode, reset Pram, SMC reset, re-install aperture. Then after all that I try AP repair and rebuild in hopes that the earlier tune up loosened something up and will work. I may be nuts but I try All I can before I take the machine to Apple. Cheers and good luck

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 5, 2012 - 12:50am

If you make a new library and import an old exported lib (small) into it will it continue to build previews? or make a new lib from a vault?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 5, 2012 - 4:09pm

DBmoore, I was just thinking about this option this morning. To export part of my library as a new one, then use it as the “main” library and import the old one into it. I will give it a go even though my library is 90GB so it will take some time even on the SSD.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 5, 2012 - 8:13pm

I just created a new Library. Then imported the old Library into it. Same behavior. When launched, generating Previews as before.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
July 5, 2012 - 10:20pm

Jan - have you opened up Console to watch & see if any errors are being logged when this happens? Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify that your disk structure is valid & that permissions are set correctly?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 5, 2012 - 11:15pm

Jan
If you go to the Genius bar take your library on a separate hd if you can and let then access it with their machine and AP. That will prove its the library and not your machine. Did Leoni help out Im headed there not to see. Tims idea of console and or Activity Monitor is solid

Long shots start here
Do you have all Apple Ram? Run disk permissions from Disk warrior or the start up cd.
I don’t think it hurts to keep running repair and rebuild of your lib with AP. And somewhere in this thread you said you re -installed AP? weird

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 5, 2012 - 11:26pm

Hi guys, appreciate all the ideas!

The iMac is all Apple. No other vendor RAM or such. I checked Console and there is nothing being logged when Aperture starts the Preview generation.

As for running Disk Permissions, I did that but after normal start up of the iMac, so I will give it a go from Lion’s recovery mode. I will also copy the Aperture LIbrary to my MacBook Air (mid 2012) and see if the behavior persists. Will report back.

No offense to Apple Geniuses, but I will not be taking my data to them. I get more suggestions from people on forums here and Apple Communities than from Apple.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 5, 2012 - 11:34pm

I sure hope I don’t have to reinstall OSX, because that is what I did just a month ago. If that would be the last resort, I will just wait for Mountain Lion and do clean install after that.

When I get home tonight I’ll try Lion recovery to Repair Permissions, try PRAM reset, SMC and then also moving the library to my MacBook. I’ll report back.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 6, 2012 - 12:41am

Wow. This is definitely a very odd bug! At this point I have to guess it’s something with the library rather than the OS, or really a combo of library + Aperture. I only have one new idea - since everyone here has suggested pretty much everything. Try to export each project as a new library and then import them into a new library, 1 by 1, instead of all at once. Basically, after rebuilding didn’t work, I suspect there could be a rouge project / set of files in your library and this might help track it down.

I’m sure you’ve done it many times, but repairing permissions library multiple times in a row can actually fix some problems better, especially since Aperture doesn’t give feedback on what it’s doing.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 6, 2012 - 3:13am

Thank’s again to all who chip in. I have now done the following:

Restarted iMac into Lion Recovery Mode and Verified and Repaired Disk - there were no issues at all.

I then restarted the iMac and Repaired Permissions (via Disk Utility) - no issues found

Then I copied my referenced Library to my brand new MacBook Air (less than 10 days old). When I launched it all went well, no Preview generation, no matter how many times I launched it. BUT! Since my Library is referenced I then loaded the HDD in my iMac (via Finder) where the originals (masters) reside and launched Aperture. All went well. I clicked on some photos and choose “Show in Finder …”. Finder showed the original on my iMac drive. Then I closed Aperture and as it was closing, it not only shared previews with iLife, it also popped second pop-up “Upgrading Library …” Then it closed.

I relaunched Aperture and it almost instantly began generating 7300+ previews.

Then, I ejected the HDD in my iMac via Finder on the MBA. Closing down Aperture, it again Updated the Library. Relaunching Aperture resulted in NO preview generation.

I did the same exercise on mu iMac (I have 256GB SSD with OSX, apps and Aperture library on it and I have 2TB HDD in it). I ejected the HDD, closing Aperture, it automatically “Updated Library”. Relaunching Aperture without the HDD loaded (so Referenced Library without the originals available) resulted in no Preview generation. Rebooting iMac and having HDD load up again brought the behavior back!

Go figure. At least I know reinstalling OSX is not necessary.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 6, 2012 - 3:29am

Opening up Console on MBA shows the below, any ideas? (I filtered for Aperture in the search field of Console)

7/5/12 8:00:07.029 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:02:07.237 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:05:52.676 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:06:58.592 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:07:50.803 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 6, 2012 - 3:34am

Opening up Console on iMac shows the below, any ideas? (I filtered for Aperture in the search field of Console)

7/5/12 7:46:58.281 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:03:11.713 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:09:25.891 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:18:23.902 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:18:39.422 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:18:39.429 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:18:57.853 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:20:11.603 PM Aperture: The class ‘NSProMenuItem’ overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class ‘NSMenuItem’
7/5/12 8:20:20.907 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:20:37.443 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:20:37.453 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders
7/5/12 8:20:55.112 PM authexec: executing /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/VacuumFilesAndFolders

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 6, 2012 - 7:39am

Interesting. Well, at least we know what the bad behavior is tied to. Now to fix it.

The log files: I believe NS(Pro)MenuItem is just one of the tools / names for building menus in OS X for things like drop downs and such, and ProMenuItems are just styled differently.
The Vacuum lines are a function that Aperture has to keep the database of images clean, so this seems fine.

There’s a few things I’ve thought of now:
1. Are you using File Vault at all?
2. On both macs start back up from the recovery partition - and this time go to the Terminal app under the Utilities menu and type resetpassword Then in the window that opens select your user account and click the button to repair permissions and reset ACLs. This is a slightly different type of repair permissions from what disk utility does.
3. If that doesn’t work, what about relocating the masters to a new drive? If you have a clean try - erase it in disk utility and the copy your referenced masters over and then reconnect them in Aperture.
4. Also, you may have answered this: Have you tried deleting the previews for those images already? If you haven’t, try deleting them before you relocate the masters and then let the preview generation run once - or see if it doesn’t even run at all.

Let me know if any of that helps. Otherwise, I might have a couple more ideas, but they’re a little more involved.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 6, 2012 - 4:44pm

Someone has suggested to Rebuild Permission to the Aperture Library several times in a row. I did that - did not work.

Then another suggestion was to select all photos, Update Previews and subsequently rebuild Aperture Library - no change.

I will try your thing Michael with ACLs reset. As for the relocation of the originals, I might try that but since it’s close to 400GB, it ill have to wait a bit.

Yes, I did delete the Previews and had the regenerated anew, did not help.

I’ll report back if any success.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 6, 2012 - 10:00pm

Jan did you email aperturefeedback@group.apple.com  ? Since you are waiting for Mountain Lion you might inform them. They may have some special instructions that we don’t know about. Also point them to the forums so they can read the attempts and the number of people trying to help. They are responsive I have found out.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 6, 2012 - 10:41pm

DBmoore, thanks. I just sent them an email. Let’s see what happens. In the mean time I have deleted the Previews and Thumbnails folders inside Aperture package and they are being rebuilt. I doubt it will help but at least it will slim down my library size.

Everyone, thanks for all your help. I will report back if this gets solved in any way.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2012 - 8:10pm

Jan,

Disable preview generation for the project(s), stop the activity in the monitor, and all will be good. Then generate as needed.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 30, 2012 - 8:38pm

There’s 750 GB left on the HDD that houses the main library, 10GB of RAM and 2 Intel Xeon 3Ghz Dual-Core processors. Should be enough I think!

I’m expecting to upgrade the machine to one that is about 3 years newer in August, as it will have faster RAM and better chips - and a full 64bit kernel so that it will run Mountain Lion.

My Mac Pro won’t (apparently) as it is iteration 1,1 and does not have full 64 bit kernel. A friend of mine is moving semi-permanently to Australia and does not want to lug his Mac Pro over the ditch, so I have bagged it.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 1, 2012 - 3:28am

Joseph, no matter what I do ( I did what you suggested) it happens every single time! The view generation if OFF in Preferences as well as for ALL! Libraries and Projects but to no avail. I posted on Apple Communities and there are a few more people with this same issue. Since I tend to shut down and launch Aperture a lot, it irritates the living hell out of me. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 1, 2012 - 5:48am

Further, I have also trashed the Preferences file - no change. The bloody 7000+ previews still generate. Now I trashed all the previews (42GB) and have Aperture generate new ones. Will see how it goes and if it helps. I will report back.

I also Repaired Database but it didn’t help.

If the new previews won’t solve it, I will Rebuild Database and if that fails I guess only reinstall will help?

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
July 1, 2012 - 6:58am

Jan,

I have now noticed the same issue that you are having. It all started after updating to Aperture 3.3.1. Each time I open Aperture 3.3.1 it starts over generating previews. And yes I have also turned of the items in Preferences. I am now just about positive something has happened with 3.3.1.

Stu

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 1, 2012 - 7:18pm

Just reporting back that uninstalling and reinstalling Aperture did NOT help! So it’s Aperture 4:0 Jan :(

I already tried the following:
1) Uncheck “Generate Previews for new Projects” in Preferences
2) Turned off “Maintain Previews for Projects” for all my projects
3) Trashed Aperture plist file from Library
4) Clean reinstall of Aperture

The bloody 7000+ preview generating thing comes back EVERY time I launch Aperture!

Heeeeeelp!

Yes, I submitted the bug report to Apple as well and posted this on the Apple Communities.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 1, 2012 - 10:26pm

Jan when you deleted your Ap preferences did you do a total re-boot of osx or just Ap?
When I get frustrated with computers I try everything.

Once Ap has built the 7000 images and you restart Ap is everything ok or does it do it again? Good luck

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 2, 2012 - 4:03am

I had a similar issue where my Aperture was locking up and beac-balling every few seconds / click. Processing previews was part of my problem. Rebuilding my library helped fix that. To rebuild your library, close Aperture. Then hold the Command and Option keys while starting up Aperture and a dialog box will appear. Click the 3rd option to rebuild the library database. This could take a little while if you have lots of images. Be sure to have a backup, always!

You may also want to try some general troubleshooting techniques, like checking that your disk comes out clean when you “Verify Disk” in Disk Utility, and try to Repair Disk Permissions.

Barring that, have you tried to let Aperture 3 sit overnight and generate all the previews?

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 2, 2012 - 5:10pm

Just wanted to update - no solution yet.

1) I have now deleted Aperture completely with ALL preferences and traces one can find on the OSX (In ~/Library/Preferences ~/Library/Application Support)
2) I rebooted the iMac
3) Ran “Repair Permissions” and “Verified Disk” - all fine no issues
4) Installed Aperture 3.1 (that is the install dmg I have)
5) Ran Update Software and updated to 3.3.1
6) Opened my Aperture Library and again got 7800 previews generating
I allowed it to finish, closed Aperture
7) Launched Aperture - generating 7800 of those same previews again
8) Closed Aperture, launched it holding Option+Command keys and set it to Rebuild the Library

Nothing, I constantly get this issue of Aperture generating 7800 previews. It must be a bug. Now I have done everything I possibly could and it is still there.

Further, I noticed that when I cancel the task it appears to come back on its own later.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
July 2, 2012 - 9:39pm

Jan,

I am also now convinced that there is a bug in Aperture 3.3.1. Have done about everything you have done with the same results. By the way I am now using the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Peter Guttinger's picture
by Peter Guttinger
July 2, 2012 - 10:08pm

Basically, there should not be any reason to re-build previews and thumbs as these are in the library already.
This behaviour for sure a severe bug! And it’s not the only one, i’m pretty sure: I found many missing files and corupt thumbs and preview up to showing the wrong thumb (10 times the same).
I’m disapointed by Apple and this version.

Peter.Guttinger

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 3, 2012 - 3:33am

Send feedback to Apple using the Feedback option under the Aperture menu when inside the application. They can’t fix bugs they don’t know about.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 3, 2012 - 3:42am

I have done that a few days back.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 9, 2012 - 5:24am

THANK’s to all who tried to help. I would like to report that I finally deleted all Previews and Thumbnails (went to Pictures/Aperture Library - opened package content; deleted folders for Previews and Thumbnails). And started up Aperture.

Of course it went into a “frenzy” generating new thumbnails and previews (in the end my Library shrunk from 60+GB to 35GB). When Aperture claimed it was all done, I restarted it and noticed that many of my 30000+ photos had wrongly generated thumbnails (pixelated weird images or just black and white large pixels). When clicking on them, the correct thumbnails were generated and Aperture was busy and I had to restart it several times. You can imagine, clicking through most of 30.000+ photos takes a good part of your Sunday, but after I was done, I relaunched Aperture repeatedly more than 20 times and all it does is it keeps generating 136 thumbnails (takes about 5 seconds).

I have no idea what causes it, but I hope it is finally solved for me. If any weird behavior comes back I will report it.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 9, 2012 - 6:12am

congratulations That must be a relief for you. dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness