You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
libraryform what to way to go #1
subsea's picture
by subsea
February 4, 2011 - 1:02am

Hey
I have been think about my libraryform and i would like to hear from otheres before doing anything
witch way is the best
a) to use references
b) or to have all pictures stored inside aperture library
i have around 12000 shoots in my current library and in one big mess and i need to do some thing about it :)
thanks for all you help Henrik

Jaimie Harris's picture
by Jaimie Harris
February 6, 2011 - 8:02pm

I believe that you are missing one choice:

c) Maintain multiple libraries

This is what I do and therefore it is the best choice! <joking>

As v3 makes it so easy to switch between libraries, split them up into Work and Personal. Split them up into current and archive. Split them up in whatever way makes sense to you. If you do it wrong, merge them into something that does make sense. Just remember to back them all up before you start messing about.

Jai

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 9, 2011 - 4:31am

Henrik,

All three are great options, and just depend on your needs and workflow.

12,000 photos is not a large library, and unless you have a small hard drive or very little available space, should easily be run as a single Managed Library (meaning stored inside the Aperture Library).

The advantage of working Managed is backup is very simple. Your Time Machine backup will back up your library and your photos… if you’re using a cloud backup system like Backblaze then everything is easily backed up in the cloud as well, and finally if you also run the Aperture Vault, then it’s backed up yet-again. (You can never have too many backups!)

Referenced is more to think of because you have to maintain a backup for that drive—and you really do need to be diligent about it or you risk losing everything!

Multiple libraries is great as well (and these can be Managed or Referenced) if it makes sense. For example, I have a single library for one of my larger clients, yet normally keep all images (140,000+) in a single Referenced library for all other clients.

I hope that helps,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

subsea's picture
by subsea
February 9, 2011 - 6:23am

Joseph
thanks for your reply, that is also what i am doing, but i keep losing images inside the
the Library.
so i was wounder what it the world is going one, i have tried disk repair but no faults
so i was thinking that there was a limit of how many pictures i can have
i will keep looking for my faults with the library, i use the Vault i nearly lost all my images and one stage.but thanks to the vault was i saved :)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?