You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lightroom 4 is in Beta!!! #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
January 11, 2012 - 6:19am

Just to give you all the heads up, Adobe has released Lightroom 4 in beta flavour.

I am not a lover of Lightroom but I thought it might be worth a mention.

If anyone wants to see what Adobe is up to then beta is available for download from here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Flightroom4

Joseph I know this is not strictly aperture related, so I have no hard feelings if you want to pull down this post.

Chris

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
January 19, 2012 - 6:23am

I have played with Bibble, LR, DXO, Phase One, Capture NX and so on.

The biggest problem is that they all do 90% of what Aperture does, with only 10% being different, more useful, better - or the reverse.

For example, the inability of Aperture to correct lens distortion is a major flaw IMV and that feature is in some of the alternatives.

Like camera systems, once you have made an investment it becomes difficult and expensive to change. If I were to move my workflow to say LR, I would still have to keep all my Aperture work live because - although I could move all the master images - I cannot move the version information into the new application.

Thus the move would effectively delete 5 years of work unless I kept Aperture alive in parallel to the ‘new’ option.

One advantage LR has is that lots more companies, websites etc seem to write plug-ins for it than Aperture which barely gets mentioned anymore on line.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 19, 2012 - 7:44am

That’s what we’re here for, Marcus ;-)

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 11, 2012 - 6:29am

No problem Chris :)

I’ll be checking it out myself. Hopefully it’s not too good hehe

@PhotoJoseph

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
January 11, 2012 - 6:30am

Has anyone heard anything new about an Aperture 4, or a new version of Aperture?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 11, 2012 - 7:19am

Ian,

Nope… nothing since I posted this article on the Aperture X book on Amazon.com… which is still there, so it makes me believe that the author is just hoping to get lucky on the timing.

@PhotoJoseph

Gabriele Fani's picture
by Gabriele Fani
January 11, 2012 - 7:43am

I don’t understand Apple strategies for PRO, really… Nothing about the “new” Mac Pro or Aperture X. It’s difficult to plan our professional work.

Sorry for my bad english.

Congrats Joseph for the site and training.

Bye

d-light's picture
by d-light
January 11, 2012 - 8:03am

It seems there are quiet some movements on the market:
Bibble Labs purchased by Corel

Is there any other Aperture user knowing the power of Bibble (and its extended plugins)? - just interested to know…

-Michael

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
January 11, 2012 - 9:00am

I have had a play for the past hour with Lightroom and I do not find it as intuitive as Aperture, maybe I am being bias here and just need to play with it a bit more.

I was interested to see that they are using blurb as their book supplier. I do print a fair amount of books via aperture and a few other things via iPhoto. Blurb do have a bit on their website hooking up with Adobe Lightroom 4 (http://www.blurb.com/lightroom)

I haven’t heard of these guys before, maybe I should have, a few of my friends use graphistudio for all their wedding photography albums.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness