You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Loading Aperture From CD to Macbook Air - and Moving to App Store ownership model #1
Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 7:27am

Just added a new Mac Book Air to my Apple stable and I am looking at the best way to get Aperture on to it.

I have CD's going back to the initial release but the App Store is the obvious place to get things these days.

However I do not want to buy something I already own, so I suppose I will have to share the drive on my Mac Pro workstation and use the CD. Do you agree?

Which begs the question: what will happen when we get to v4 of Aperture? Will there be a way to migrate our 'hard copy' ownership to the App Store ownership model that Apple clearly prefers?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
February 23, 2012 - 7:35am

Marcus,

Here’s what I would do if I were you. Go to Apples Aperture page and click the Aperture Trial link to download the trial version. Once you install it, instead of using the trial serial number they send you, use your existing serial number. You’ll probably get the latest version this way as well and no need to use the DVD.

No one knows for sure about Aperture 4 but I’m guessing there will be no upgrade pricing for Aperture 4. It will only be available in the Mac App Store for a single low price for all. That’s how they did the Final Cut Pro X release. We’ll have to wait and see for sure.

Tom

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 23, 2012 - 7:42am

Thomas beat me to it! :)

Marcus, if using the trial download and your existing serial number doesn’t work, the Air will do Remote Disk. Just insert the DVD into the Mac Pro, and then open System Preferences > Sharing and enable “DVD or CD Sharing”.

Then on your Air (on the same network of course) just click on Remote Disk under Devices in any Finder sidebar list. You’ll see your Mac Pro listed there; open that and you’ll see your DVD! If you have enabled “Ask me before allowing others to use my DVD drive” in the System Preferences, you’ll see an “ask to use” button on the Air. Click that and a prompt will pop up on the Mac Pro.

Easy enough!

And fully agreed with what Thomas says on the upgrade… it’s most likely that there will be no upgrade, only a new purchase, but at the price we’re seeing now ($79 vs the $199 you paid for a boxed version). This is the New World Order™.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 9:02am

Thanks - those were pretty much the only options I had thought of as well!

Do you have a view as to which would be faster? We do not have very fast broadband here - only around 3 Mbps down and 0.6 up. Would doing it over wi fi be quicker than that?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 23, 2012 - 9:06am

LOL no idea man… just start it and see :-)

@PhotoJoseph

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 9:41am

I am going with the web download - that way I am assuming I will get the most up to date version so will not have to spend ages updating from my original v3 disc which I had within 2 weeks of launch so will be several versions old.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 10:40am

Having waited over an hour for the software to download from Apple it now won’t open the app due to ‘invalid checksum’!

I can see the Cloud being a great idea in California but not so great in many other places!

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 10:50am

This is proving a lot more difficult than it should. It now won’t accept the serial number from my v3 disc because it is an upgrade disc and wants the original serial number. I have the original disc but not the original serial number so at the moment I am stumped.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 23, 2012 - 11:11am

Success! I found my old original serial number.

Using the disc from v3 upgrade as an install it took less than 3 minutes, so wi fi is way way quicker than broadband unless you have a very good bb connection.

Took up approx 750 Mb.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 24, 2012 - 2:27am

Marcus,

Glad to hear it.

Regarding serial numbers… fortunately those are mostly a thing of the past (at least for any software you buy on the App store) but I personally use 1Password to store all my serial numbers. Nice and easy to find when you need them.

@PhotoJoseph

Kenneth Lim's picture
by Kenneth Lim
August 2, 2012 - 7:01pm

just bought a MBA and ran into this problem - although the download trial solution doesn’t work anymore because Apple is no longer offering free trials!

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
August 3, 2012 - 1:40am

Kenneth,

Check out this FAQ … it has a link:

FAQ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness