You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for new files in a referenced library #1
Christian C. Berclaz's picture
by Christian C. Berclaz
August 2, 2013 - 3:25pm

Hi
I've looked for this on the net for awhile without success…

I have a huge photo library stored on a NAS (Synology) (format: Year/MM - Month/YYYYMMDD Project) which I share with my wife. My photos are referenced in an Aperture library. On my wife's system the photos are referenced in her own Aperture library.

Now as we edit and add pictures regularly I would like to maintain both libraries loosely in sync. By loosely I mean that each library can have independent versions however we would like to have access to all the masters from our respective Aperture libraries.

So far I have checked manually, scanning one directory after the other, which is quite time consuming (we still add older pictures in our library from the time we were shooting slides so we don't just add pictures to the last year/month).

Anyone would have an idea how this could be automated?

Thanks

Christian C. Berclaz
www.photoanimalium.com

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
August 2, 2013 - 7:55pm

Christian,

Aperture can recognize duplicates during the import process. You would have to play with it some to get the right workflow and checkboxes checked. When you open the Import dialog, there is a checkbox that says “Don’t import duplicates”. If you check that, Aperture’s import browser won’t show you thumbnails for images it thinks have already been imported. It might take a while for it to scan for all the new files, but that might get you what you seek. I don’t know how Aperture handles the situation where you add more files to an existing folder. In theory it should find the new files, but you would have to test that.

Walter

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness