You are here

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lost! Aperture Library #1
Peter Richardson's picture
by Peter Richardson
March 17, 2012 - 4:58am

I have had Aperture on my system for over a year now and have grown to love and rely on it. But on clicking the Aperture icon it started in the normal way 'Opening Aperture Library', but it never stopped. Four hours later I clicked 'Force Quit' Now that is all I get, Opening Aperture Library, but it never opens! Help

by Peter Richardson
March 21, 2012 - 12:01am

Well, in theory it was a good idea. In practice,it took over 24hours of uninterupted ‘rebuilding’ and seems to have ‘rebuilt’ every file/folder on this computer.

I do have most of my image files backed up elsewhere, and am running out of time to allocate to this particular problem. Is it feasable to start again?

Cheers

Peter

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 12:32am

Peter,

But is it done now, or is it still rebuilding?

And what do you mean by “start again”… to start the rebuild again? If it’s in process, do NOT force quit to stop it.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Peter Richardson
March 21, 2012 - 12:43am

Everytime `i touch it the rainbow wheel starts spinning and lasts for anywhere between 5 and 35 minutes +. But it ‘looks’ like it’s finished.

Start again as in delete all the info on the existing library and let it rebuild from my image back-up.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 12:44am

Peter,

Are you looking at the Aperture application window or a rebuild window? If Aperture, then quit the app if you can. If you can’t (because you just get the spinning beach ball) then force quit.

It sounds like your library still has issues and if you have a recent backup, then yes you may want to rebuild from there.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 21, 2012 - 1:19am

OK, will do, I think it will be quicker. Thanks Joseph, for everything.

Peter

by Peter Richardson
March 21, 2012 - 6:47am

Idealy waiting for your webinar to start. That was a wise diecision Joseph, Aperture working as it should now, thank you for your advice.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 1:50pm

Peter,

Sounds like all is well now, that’s great

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
March 17, 2012 - 6:21am
PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2012 - 6:27am

Thanks Thomas. I hope that’s all it needs!

Peter,

If you can’t even get to that point I have some other suggestions, but let’s try the repair that Thomas has pointed you to first.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 17, 2012 - 7:59am

Yes, Hi Thomas and thanks for the suggestion. The problem is I can no longer get Aperture to get past the small ‘Aperture Library loading’ stage. So I don’t have the options normaly displayed left and top.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2012 - 9:13am

Peter,

You have to hold down command and option on launch to get that window displayed in the FAQ.

Click on Aperture in the dock and immediately press and hold those keys.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 17, 2012 - 6:05pm

Joseph/anyone

I cannot view Aperture at all. When I click the Aperture icon in the ‘dock’ the only change I see is the small ‘Opening Aperture Library’. That’s the beginning and end of any action I can take that produces anything.

<sigh>

Peter

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2012 - 11:52pm

Right Peter, I get that… but you can still press and hold the command and option keys on your keyboard while it launches. Press and hold them before clicking Aperture on the dock even. If you see the “Opening library” dialog, then you waited too long to press the keys.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 18, 2012 - 12:26am

Hmmm, that’s embarrassing, my apologies Joseph. Excuse me while I go and wipe the egg of my face.

But, I saw the repair options and chose ‘repair library database’, the options menu was then replaced another small box ‘Repairing Library:0% complete……
It has been like that for over 10 minutes.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 18, 2012 - 12:27am

Peter,

OK good, we have some progress.

We know the database has issues so let’s leave it for a while and see if it starts to climb before doing anything else.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 18, 2012 - 12:35am

OK, will do. Fingers crossed!

by Peter Richardson
March 18, 2012 - 3:04am

Hi, me again, just to let you know the ‘Repairing Library:0%’ box has vanished, but I can here my comp churning away at something? should I be patient?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 18, 2012 - 3:08am

Peter,

So you don’t see anything on the screen from Aperture now?

Open Activity Monitor, which is an app in the Utilities folder, and look for Aperture in the list. See what the % CPU is. If it’s zero, then it’s not doing anything. If it’s not, then it is ;-)

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 18, 2012 - 4:20am

I was patient and watched a program on TV. When I came back Aperture was back! :-)

I am so relieved you have no idea. Thank you Joseph and your fellow Aperture enthusiasts for your patience and help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 18, 2012 - 4:25am

Hurrah!!

That’s great news Peter, thanks for letting us know.

Now… backup your Library before proceeding, since it’s in a usable state. After the backup, run the repair again but this time choose the “rebuild” option. You had some serious issues, and so let’s do our best to clear them out for good.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Richardson
March 18, 2012 - 4:51am

That’s a good plan Joseph, thank you.

Peter

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?