You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lost referenced photos in Aperture -- need help with re-associating them #1
Argelius's picture
by Argelius
April 17, 2011 - 12:53am

When I first started using Aperture 3, I elected to have my existing iPhoto pics as referenced, rather than managed files.

I recently replaced my hard drive (for a bigger one to hold all those photos…). Now I find that whenever I click on a referenced photo, I get the error message:

Versions with unavailable master files cannot be exported. The selected master image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.

I understand I can go do File>Locate Referenced Files.

Given that they haven't been moved from their original location (I assume within the iPhoto library), is there a way to automatically re-associate all of them? I've got about 10,000 photos like this now and can't possibly track them down one by one.

In the dialog window that pops up, the lower box is where you point to the original files. I can select “iphoto library” but don't see any way to do this easily for a lot of photos. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 1:04am

Glenn,

Worst case, you can crack open the iPhoto package and extract the master files. But let us know if any of the other links here have helped first.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Argelius's picture
by Argelius
May 3, 2011 - 1:04am

Hi all,
I figured it out (piecing together info from various places on the internets). The

So to summarize for others that may be struggling with this:

[1] Create a smart album to locate all the referenced photos (I used the keyword “iphoto original” which Aperture applied to all my iphoto pics when I starting using Aperture).

[2]Select all photos in the album (cmd-A)

[3] File>Locate Referenced Files

[4] In the upper panel highlight one photo.

[5] Use spotlight to locate where that photo is on your hard drive.

[6] In the lower panel navigate to the location of the photo

[7] Click on the “reconnect all button at the bottom.

Aperture then took about 5 minutes reconnecting all my referenced photos.

Given how user-friendly Macs generally are, this wasn’t at all very intuitive…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 3, 2011 - 2:57am

Glenn,

Glad you’ve solved the problem. Using a Smart Album to locate the broken photos is clever.

So were the originals inside the iPhoto package? If so, and if Spotlight found them inside the package (which you can’t normally navigate to), that’s a stellar tip.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
April 17, 2011 - 5:38pm

I do not know if this might help:
http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter…

I only used managed libraries, so I am not too sure about using a referenced.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
April 17, 2011 - 5:40pm

I have also come across this topic as well:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/forum-user/post/1211948

That might be of more use.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2011 - 12:42am

Glenn,

We discussed this very topic a week or two ago here. The problem with importing iPhoto images by reference into Aperture is there is no way to reconnect them (that I can figure out anyway). The iPhoto library is a package file (actually a special folder in MacOS X). When you attempt to reconnect in Aperture you cannot navigate into the iPhoto library because it is a package file and Aperture won’t let you into it.

Images imported from iPhoto by reference can get disconnected a number of ways. Examples being: 1. iPhoto upgrade that changes the iPhoto library structure, 2. Moving the iPhoto library to a different folder or hard drive (i.e. changing its path)

Have you named your new hard drive exactly the same as the old one? I’m not sure if having the name the same will help but it’s worth a try. MacOS X knows the difference between two drives with the same name because they have unique volume IDs.

Bottom line from the last time we discussed this is I don’t think there is a solution for you.

Tom

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness