You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
major issue #1
Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 16, 2012 - 10:15am

all started when i upgraded to mountain lion. i was getting a lot of quitting from aperture & iPhoto. i looked around for options and did a rebuild of my library. that resolved my issue. then i decided i wanted all of my pix in aperture and started moving them over. after i imported the pix into aperture i deleted the album in iPhoto. i started getting the force close again shortly after launch. i rebuilt the library again but this time it did not work. i deleted aperture and reinstalled and nothing. called apple and they had me reinstall mountain lion. that didnt work either. today i made a new library, did a drag and drop of the old library. 4 hours later aperture quits. i figured i would copy all of my files to an external drive, wipe my hd and install lion and just work on that for a while. i cant copy the library because a few files are unable to be read or written. so i have to view my aperture library and copy each folder, skipping the pix that gave me the error. i also tried opening in iPhoto then aperture but that trick didnt work. does anyone else have any ideas or have heard about this? Thanks in advance

Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 16, 2012 - 11:08am

i managed to get into my library with holding shift then deleting all of the previews. what do you guys think a should do next?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
August 16, 2012 - 2:24pm

Make sure you have your back ups. Do all three steps in the Rebuiling and repairing of Lib. Then Safe Boot and reboot, PRAM, SMC, Fsck all located in the FAQ on Aperture Expert
Let us know what happens

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 16, 2012 - 11:13pm

I am exporting each project as a lib with the move originals checked to my external drive. I have a feeling this is going I take a looooong time. 20k pictures :(. In just happy that I can atleast do things in aperture now with out it closing. Should I delete the old lib after I copy everything onto my external drive and just start over? I’m 99% sure I want to go back to lion.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 1:59am

Danny,

Good sleuthing to find out that holding down Shift key enabled it to launch. For those who don’t know, holding down shift on launch will disable generating previews for that session. The reason this helps is that any images without previews yet that are in the queue will start to generate right away, and if there’s a corrupt Original that Aperture is trying to create a preview for, it can cause Aperture to crash. If that’s what’s causing it, then chances are the last crash you saw was because Aperture hit that corrupted image, and so then every time you launch, that image is next in the queue, so Aperture immediately crashes. Once again by holding the shift key on launch, you temporarily disable preview generation, and so Aperture doesn’t read that corrupted image.

The only way out of this is to find that corrupted image. There are lots of things to try to do, and I’d start working backwards. Odds are it’s a recent image that is corrupted, since this crash just started happening. Look at recent imports. See if you can find an image that won’t draw a thumbnail or in the Viewer properly. Also look for odd files like 0k files, or 0x0 dimension files, or files with “(null)” somewhere in the metadata. Those are good clues to start on.

There’s no instant cure to this — it may take a while to track down, I’m sorry to say.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 17, 2012 - 2:43am

As my lib is exporting, I noticed about 10 pix from a recent import have the yellow triangle on the bottom corner. What does that mean? Souls I trash those pictures? I am fairly certain I have them backed up o dropbox

Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 17, 2012 - 3:25am

so i found out what the triangle is, should have searched first. question is i cant find the original file so should i trash the missing ones? is there a way to copy it or something? id really hate to lose them but i know thats most likely to happen

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 7:28am

Danny,

If you can’t find the Originals for those missing files, then yes you may as well trash them. However if they have JPEG previews, you can drag those out first to save them (just drag to the desktop), then import those JPEGs, so at least you have something. If there is no preview (i.e. you can’t drag it to the desktop), then you can still take a screenshot of the image in the Viewer, so at the largest size possible. It might be better than nothing.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Danny Tammaro's picture
by Danny Tammaro
August 17, 2012 - 9:55am

awesome idea, i never would have thought about that. thank you for your help, donation will be on the way next friday(payday :)) all of my files are backed up to my external drive, now im gonna make the plunge and wipe and downgrade to lion (poor ml performance)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 10:04am

Thanks Danny, happy to help, and good luck!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness