You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Manually adjusted dates are reverting back to prior date #1
Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
November 26, 2011 - 3:54am

I scanned many old photos (2000+) a few years back and imported them into Aperture. I spent many evenings arduously updating metadata including the photo date and time (EXIF date). Now if I simply select a photo in Aperture the date will change back to the original date (date the photo was scanned). This doesn't seem to happen to all the photos that I scanned. I can flip thru 20 of these scanned photos and the dates on 5 of them will change and the others will not change. I created a smart album to help highlight when this happens.
I searched around and found lots of issues with changing dates but I didn't find this issue.

I used the “Adjust Date and Time…” menu item in Aperture to modify these dates. Looking at dialog box now I notice the “also change master file” checkbox. I don't remember if I check that or not. When I started correcting these changed dates, I checked this option and the dates seem to 'stick'. But it appears if I don't check this box the dates still 'stick'.

I rebuilt my Aperture database and that didn't seem to fix this issue.

I can correct this issue on the photos that I have identified. But I am afraid to select any of these scanned photos (2000+) hence their date may change.
Assuming my problem is that I never changed the master file when I made all these date changes, is there a way to identify all the photos that have a different date on the master file.

I am assuming this is some sort of error. The date shouldn't change just because I selected the photo, whether or not I originally selected “also change master file”.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have used Aperture since 2008 and currently on version 3.2.1

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 27, 2011 - 4:55am

Jim,

That’s very bizarre. You’re right, selecting “also change master file” shouldn’t make a difference here.

I’m going out on a limb and saying this smells like a bug. Let me point this out to Apple and hope for a fix soon. If I hear anything I’ll let you know, but understand that usually these bug-shares are a one-way street. If you can avoid messing with those photos for now, I would, or at minimum export the Libraries with scanned and date-corrected photos so you have a backup of the Libraries, before you continue poking around looking for a fix.

Oh also just for giggles, export one of the projects where you know this is happening, open the new Library on its own and see if the problem is still happening there.

Bummer problem. Sorry to hear it.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?