You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Memory Cards #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
May 20, 2012 - 5:43am

Out of curiosity what card maker, preferably CF flavor, does everyone shot on to?

I am away to move on to using a Canon 7D from a 450D and wanted to know people's thoughts about their cards.

At the moment I use Sandisk Extreme 3 SD cards, for the 450d. I have one PNY card which I very rarely use.

Is there a card maker you explicitly trust?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
May 22, 2012 - 12:58am

I have had good success with various brands and am currently using SanDisk.

That said, EVERY brand of card can and does fail. If you do any research at all, you will soon discover that no brand has cornered the market on perfection, There are as many proponents of every brand as there are those disappointed due to failures.

Rick DeNatale's picture
by Rick DeNatale
May 26, 2012 - 10:52pm

I’ve had pretty good luck with the Transcend 32GB SDHC card which I bought along with my Nikon D5100 about a year ago. I also recently added a SanDisk 16GB card recently with it went on sale.

I agree with Butch. Actually I suspect that when a card has a problem it just as likely to be due to ‘operator error’ as the brand. I only had one glitch with the Transcend card which luckily resulted in no loss of images, when I removed it when I thought it had been properly ejected but wasn’t. The images had already been imported, but the camera couldn’t read it, but could format it.

Another thing which can ‘cook’ a card is letting the battery in your camera run down to the point where it doesn’t have enough left to completely save that last image. My D5100 seems to refuse to take and exposure before it gets to that point though. A fully charged spare battery is a good thing to have in your camera bag.

My routine is to upload my exposures frequently at least daily, unless I forget, and then to eject the card, install it in the camera and format it in the camera. I never let Aperture delete from the card, although I might have that time when I had the eject issue. In fact I almost never write to the card from the Mac. The only exception to this is when I have to in order to install a camera firmware update.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 20, 2012 - 6:47am

Chris,

I’ve always had a mix of Lexar and Sandisk. To be honest, I have had images come corrupt off some Lexar cards before, but never Sandisk. Yet to be fair, my Lexar cards are considerably older. At the end of the day, both are great companies making great products. The only reason I bought Sandisk when I did was B&H was having a killer sale a few years ago.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
May 21, 2012 - 1:18am

I’ve used SanDisk CF and SD cards for years without any troubles. Many have reported the same experience with Lexar.

I can’t see how you’d go wrong using one of those brands. You’ll just want to match the speed of the cards to the speed of the camera. Here’s the reference I use for thinking about speeds:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness