You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Memory required for previews? #1
MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
August 11, 2013 - 9:47am

Hi guys,
Waiting for my new iMac with 768GB SSD (FWIW, my first Mac)
Been watching many of Josephs youtube clips in preparation as I have never used Aperture before, (or Lightroom for that matter), mainly used the Nikon Capture NX2 software

Starting to get the picture that even though images may be stored on portable drives, even though they are not connected, you can still see the previews in aperture,

If one had a thousand images on preview at the highest quality,
Is there a disc space concern for previews
Regards,
Gary

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
August 12, 2013 - 3:47am

Could be a problem when your lib gets big. But then you can move to a referenced Lib for your images and when that gets big you can delete all preview and build only the ones you need. Cheers dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
August 12, 2013 - 9:28am

Thank you
That is good news,
I have huge amount of work to do from the start,
Im going to adopt Joseph’s method of naming projects by Year Month Date etc,
Hopefully I can delete previews from old projects and only keep previews for the current year or two
….Gary

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
August 12, 2013 - 10:16am

Just read the archive by Joseph’s “Reducing Library Dramatically”
Not sure I understand it all but guess when I get started, some things will fall into place
….Gary

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
August 12, 2013 - 8:52pm

Gary .. There are “managed” libraries where your originals live inside the library itself. This makes for a clean setup. Wherever the library lives so do the masters. This also makes the library take up significantly more space.

There are also “referenced” libraries where your originals live outside the library. They could live on your internal drive or on external storage. This makes your library folder significantly smaller because the master images are not stored there. The previews are still stored inside the library, so yes you can still view the previews even when the drive with the “referenced” masters is not connected to the system.

There is no right or wrong when choosing whether to store your originals inside or outside the library folder. What is right is what works for you and how you work. My personal choice is to use a managed library for my master library. I keep it on an external USB powered drive, and I sync that drive to three other drives frequently. Images from new shoots go into individual working libraries that live on my internal drive. When I have completed my work on those images, I open my master library and import the working library into it. Then I sync the master library drive to my three backup drives, and finally I delete the working library from my internal drive to free up the space it consumed.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
August 13, 2013 - 9:21am

Thank you for your detailed response Walter,
Much appreciated,
Your preferred method is exactly what I want to do
This is what I have done in the past where I stored all my images and only had documents on the system only they were on a windows system and no cataloging program and a rather laborious task, I then did backup and then swapped out the drives

Do you set the “master” only in the external drive?

I guess Im really asking too many questions, sitting here on my only device which is the iPad while waiting for iMac and then downloading Josephs video
Huge learning curve for me but I have a stack of full CF cards,

Thanks again,
Regards,
Gary

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
August 14, 2013 - 10:21pm

Yes, my master library only resides on the external HD. All my backup copies are also on separate external HDs. I have a total of 4 external USB-powered HDs. One holds the master library, three are backup copies of the master.

I do not have a copy of the master on my internal HD. My internal HD only holds the working libraries before they get imported into my master library on the external HD.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
August 15, 2013 - 1:35pm

Thank you Walter
Starting to get bits and pieces from the Apple store delivered today,
Unfortunately, not the big bit
When and (if) finances improve, will move to thunderbolt
For now USB 3
Noticed Joseph had his albums divided in to years, eg; 2009_2010_2011 etc
That is the way I have my folders listed now so should be easier to make the change
….Gary

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?