You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merge Will Not Work #1
Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 8, 2011 - 10:55am

I have tried to merge a project that I exported as a library from my MBP into my main Aperture library on my iMac, but a separate project is created rather than a merged project. Both projects have the same name. I have tried this several times with the same result.

I would appreciate any help in getting this resolved.

Thanks -

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 8, 2011 - 11:16am

Dudley,

When you try to open a library and another library is already open, it gives you the option to Merge or Add. I’m presuming you’re choosing Merge?

I think that the merge is not just dependent on a matching project name, but actual content. The way I’ve used it in the past is to have a project on one Library, export part or all of it, open that and do other work, go back to the original Library, and import. Then a Merge should work.

Can you tell us more about what you’re doing?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 8, 2011 - 11:25am

I exported a project as a library from my main library on my iMac to my MBP. I imported that library into the working library on my MBP. I worked out of that library over the last week adding photos and editing. Today, I exported that project on my MBP out as a library and attempted to merge it into my main library on my iMac. It ends up as a separate project instead of merging it into one project.

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 8, 2011 - 1:21pm

Dudley,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Odd.

Can you try exporting, opening the new lib on its own (NOT importing it into another), editing then reimporting back to your original? Let’s see if it works that way.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 8, 2011 - 7:38pm

Joseph -

I tried your suggestion, and it worked fine. Any ideas why it will not work correctly the other way? If there is not a way to fix it, what would be the best workaround to get the new images and edited images into my main library?

Thanks -

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 9, 2011 - 2:08am

Dudley,

Perhaps it’s just best to keep that exported library separate from your main laptop Library, so it’s not adding/merging multiple times? I think that’s how it was designed to be used (left as a stand-alone) and not merged multiple times. I’m guessing here, but there’s probably some sort of ID file that’s getting replaced when it is added to another Library, that keeps it from being recognized as a Merge-able library.

Just a guess, but that’s what I’d do… keep ‘em separate.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 9, 2011 - 3:32am

Joseph -

It would be preferable to be able to import the library into my MBP main library and add to and edit it there, but I agree that this is the best workaround for now.

Thanks -

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness