You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merging 2 almost identical libraries #1
Iestyn Lloyd's picture
by Iestyn Lloyd
May 14, 2012 - 5:33am

I have a problem where I have an Aperture library and so do does my wife on a different Mac. We went traveling and dumped all the photos on my Mac and hers. Now we have a problem where I have adjusted some of the photos and so has she. What would happen if I merged both libraries? Would I end up with loads of duplicates? And with a nightmare to sort out?

Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 1:56am

Lestyn,

If you simply imported into both computers, then yes, you’ll have loads of duplicates. If you imported into one library, then exported the project and imported that on another, then Aperture will recognize that when they come back together and offer dupe resolution, however you’d have to choose which computer got priority — not on a one-by-one shot basis, but for the entire collection.

Here’s what I would do:

1. Run a search on whichever system you’re going to pull FROM for the photos in question to locate the adjusted photos only. Set a search for Adjustments: are applied [screenshot].

2. Put all those photos in a new Album

3. Export the Album as a new Library; menu File > Export > Album as New Library…

4. Copy that library the destination computer and import to the other Aperture library. You will now have minimal dupes; only the ones that were edited on the other computer. Hopefully it’s not a huge amount and you can manually go through and decide which photo gets priority, and delete the other.

If you’ve created books or slideshows, you will want to be a bit more careful and perhaps live with the dupes, because if you delete a photo used in a book or slideshow, it’ll just disappear from it.

Good luck,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Iestyn Lloyd's picture
by Iestyn Lloyd
May 15, 2012 - 9:05am

Thank you very much.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
May 15, 2012 - 4:38pm

You can merge libraries on import in Aperture 3, which should do the job for you. You’ll find how to in the manual.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 4:45pm

gfsymon,

Merging the libraries won’t solve the duplicate problem. Aperture only looks for dupes on merge from projects that were exported from existing libraries.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?