You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merging Libraries on Different Computers #1
Oke Atatah's picture
by Oke Atatah
September 20, 2011 - 10:06am

Here is the issue that I currently have. I have a macbook pro and an iMac. I had the macbook pro longer and with that time I have saved my photographs on the computer hard drive and moved a big portion of my master files to an external hard drive.

I was wondering if it is possible to move the master files of photographs of my aperture library to another hard drive and to have access to the photographs on the imac? The hard drive that I plan to transfer the files to are going to be connected to the iMac full time.

Am I over thinking this or is there a process that I need to follow in order to make sure everything works correctly. My ultimate goal is to move all of my photo files (mac book pro and iMac combined) to the iMac and have those photo's master files moved to the external hard drive connected to the iMac.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 10:12am

Oke,

I think I follow what you want to do, which is very simple, but I want to be sure… I think that you’re using some terms that aren’t interchangeable.

You have a Library on your MacBook pro that you want to merge with a Library on your iMac, right? The Master files (which are the original files that came off the camera) are on an external Hard Drive, right?

I would do this in two steps. First, copy the Library from the MacBook Pro over to the iMac, launch it, and with your Masters HD connected, reconnect to the Masters if you need to. You’ll know you need to if the photos show up with a broken connection icon (see this post to understand the icons: Badges. Or, “What Are All Those Funny Icons, Anyway?”).

Once they are connected, switch to your iMac Library, then import the other Library from the menu File > Import > Library/Project…

Let me know if that answers your questions!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Oke Atatah's picture
by Oke Atatah
September 23, 2011 - 9:25pm

Joseph,

Thanks so much for the help! That was exactly the info I need. It took some time for everything to link up, but I got all of my files in one place now.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?