You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merging libraries? #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
January 21, 2012 - 8:48am

I searched this site first before asking this question and didn't find an answer. What's the quickest, easiest way to merge two libraries together to create one library, and can I merge more than two libraries at once if I want to combine several into one? What about merging several libraries back into my main library? I'm confused b/c the only option I'm seeing is to export a project as a new library. I thought I could merge libraries together?

If there's a post here instructing how to merge libraries then please just link me to it. TIA!

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 21, 2012 - 9:00am

Debbie,

Easy easy… go to menu File > Import > Project/Library… [screenshot] and select the one you want to import.

Do them one at a time, and you can import/combine as many libraries as you like!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 21, 2012 - 9:06am

To merge libraries, first open one of the libraries (all you have to do is double-click one of them from the Finder to open it if it’s not the current Aperture library. If Aperture is open with a different library it will ask you if you want to switch). Then with that library open choose File->Import->Library/Project…

In the resulting dialog you can select one or more libraries as long as they are in the same folder by using standard MacOS X selection techniques (shift-click or command-click). This will merge the selected libraries into the open library, but it won’t delete them from disk so make sure you have enough space available on your hard drive.

If you don’t want to keep the individual libraries around after merging, you need to manually delete them from the Finder. Make sure the import is successful first.

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
January 21, 2012 - 9:07am

Joseph types faster than me. But I’m curious why he said to do one at a time. It does let you select multiple.

Thomas

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
January 21, 2012 - 9:31am

Hmmm… I want to merge managed libraries, not libraries that are in Finder (referenced?). I have about 7 managed libraries in A3 that I switch between. Are you guys saying that I do this in Finder, not inside A3? That’s where I’m confused. When I followed Joseph’s directions it just opened Finder, but I didn’t see my other libraries there. I guess I’m not getting it.

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
January 21, 2012 - 9:36am

So when I go to File>Import>Project/Library then choose my Pictures folder I do see all of my library packages there. Is that what I choose? If so, then wow, I had no idea that’s how merging worked.

~Debbie

by Thomas Emmerich
January 21, 2012 - 11:23am

I think you got it now Debbie. Let us know how it goes.

Thomas

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
January 21, 2012 - 3:29pm

Thank you to both of you! This worked perfectly. I wish I had known sooner it was this easy. LOL!

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 24, 2012 - 2:57am

Debbie — Glad you got it sorted out :)

Thomas — the reason I suggested one at a time is to lessen the risk of error. If one import failed, or crashed, it might be more complicated figuring out where you left off. Or more seriously, if you had the same images in multiple libraries, then Aperture’s built-in “which do you want to take priority” could get confusing. I think when dealing with things as important as this, it’s best to go one step at a time.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 28, 2013 - 2:57am

Aperture can detect duplicates and only merge the differences. It will also merge the updates to the duplicates (like updated metadata, adjustments, etc). Aperture should ask you which library should take precedence when duplicates are found.

Tom Scott's picture
by Tom Scott
January 28, 2013 - 6:09am

Many thanks Walter, I’ll give that a go.

Best

Tom

Tom Scott's picture
by Tom Scott
January 27, 2013 - 6:49am

Hi,

I’ve just come across this site, I’m consolidating my Aperture libraries and all is going well so far. However, I’d like to merge an old library and a current library. I know there are lots of multiple files in the two libraries, so my question is:

Will Aperture detect the multiple files and only merge the unique files, or will I have 1000’s of multiple files to sort out afterwards?

Many thanks

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?