You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Migrating from iPhoto and Aperture #1
Lawrence's picture
by Lawrence
May 26, 2015 - 4:06pm

Hello,

I have  one library in each of iphoto and Aperture. I’m looking to migrate the entire kit and kaboodle into Photos.app. Is it best to migrate the iphoto library to Aperture first? I seem to vaguely recall reading this somewhere. Or can they be done one at a time? What are the pros and cons of each way?

I’m still undecided whether to move to Adobe Lightroom, and this whole migration thing has me antsy. I’m feeling if Aperture has given up on me, it’s almost time I give up on them.  I’m a non-pro photographer, and would classify myself as a pro-sumer. 

Thanks for any help or being pointed in the right direction. 

Lawrence

Tom's picture
by Tom
May 26, 2015 - 8:08pm

Hi Lawrence,

First, make sure you have a backup copy for each library, the backup for iPhoto, and one for the Aperture library.  That way you can always revert back to the beginning, in case you don’t like Photos.

Open Aperture, select Import, select Library(there will be three choices, choose Library), and navigate to your iPhoto library.  This action will bring your iPhoto library into Aperture’s library.

Now you can launch Photos by pressing the Option key, and clicking on Photos.  This will bring up a dialog box for you to choose which library you want Photos to open/import.  In this case, you would navigate to your Aperture library and select, Open.

This will cause Photos to go through the importing of your Aperture library, and could take a while depending on how large your Aperture library is.  This also caused my MBP’s fan to run for quite a while, it’s a pretty intensive operation.

Again, you can experiment with this, as long as you have backups of your libraries to fall back on.  But I must also add that, Photos doesn’t delete your Aperture library, it’s still where you left it.  But now (after your importation is finished), you should notice a new, Photos library alongside your Aperture library, in whatever location you keep/kept your Aperture library.

I personally keep an Aperture library for one year, then create a new one at the beginning of a new year, so I do not have extremely large libraries to deal with.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom

Lawrence's picture
by Lawrence
May 26, 2015 - 8:49pm

Thanks Tom. 

Is it wisest to import pics from iphoto to Aperture first before the import to photos.app? If so, why? 

Also, all thing being equal, is it easier to import to Lightroom from Aperture or Photos.app or is it a wash? 

Thanks,

Lawrence

Lawrence

Tom's picture
by Tom
May 26, 2015 - 9:17pm

Is it wisest to import pics from iphoto to Aperture first before the import to photos.app? Yes.

If so, why?  Photos will not import an additional library.  Once you’ve brought your Aperture library into Photos, you can no longer bring another library into Photos.  At that point, you would have to export all of your photos from your iPhotos library to another location, and then import those photos into the Photos library.

Also, all thing being equal, is it easier to import to Lightroom from Aperture or Photos.app or is it a wash?   Sorry, I’ve no experience with Lightroom.

Tom

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness