You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
migrating merged Iphoto and Aperture library. #1
wyotex's picture
by wyotex
April 10, 2015 - 7:15am

I started using Aperture about 2 years ago. At the time I merged my iPhoto library with Aperture. 

If I use the migration tool in Lightroom will all those photos transfer or just the one that were originals to Aperture?

I plan on making a duplicate of my library on an external disc before attempting the transfer. 

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
April 15, 2015 - 4:20pm

Your photos don’t move anywhere.  They will stay wherever they are presently located be it your computer’s HD or an external HD.  What you “transfer” to Lr is a link to their location so that the Lr catalogue knows where they are.  Lr works just like aperture when applying post processing changes.  It writes instructions to the catalogue (Lr) v library (Aperture) so the software knows what to do when the image is brought up.  I did duplicate my Aperture Library.  Actually it was automatically done since I used the app ApertureExporter for Lr to transfer my photos.  It copies them to a folder you create, in my case on my external HD, and I use that as my main catalogue folder.  I have not deleted either and some of my Aperture photos (a small portion) are still managed, i.e., in the Aperture Library on my laptop HD.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

wyotex's picture
by wyotex
April 15, 2015 - 7:01pm

Thanks,  Clears up many things.  Also creates a few questions.  This seems like it creates a few issues if you move to another computer in the future.  You could have ligthroom pointing to an aperture db on your hard drive  and other lightroom photos on an external drive.   If you were to move to a system with a larger drive would you break the links?

I think I need to dig into  light rooms catalogues a little deeper.   A few diagrams of there file architecture would be helpful if you know of any,

by Florian Cortese
April 16, 2015 - 2:49am

I have a small portion of my Aperture photos still tied to the Aperture L:library on my laptop.  If I decide to abandon Aperture completely I will more than likely make those files referenced and move them to my external HD. Having Lr find them is easy. First you’ll notice the photos are greyed out with a ? at the top of the photo.  Just right click, choose Find Missing Folder from the pop up menu.  This will bring up a standard Open dialog. Since you already know where to sent those files, just click on the folder and click Choose and everything gets relinked.  If you are dealing with multiple folders just Commnand-Click (Ctrl-click for Pcs) on all of the folders and follow the same steps. If you think I am a Lr genius…I’m not.  If you are serious about Lr I suggest you buy Scott kelby’s “Lightroom 5 book for digital photographers.”  That’s my reference book for all things Lr through this learning curve process.

Cheers,

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Alex U's picture
by Alex U
April 16, 2015 - 3:42am

Thank you.

I work in Aperture with referenced original RAWs. When I move to Lr and start importing my photographs, what is imported then into Lr? Does the importer pick the originals from the finder (without any information about keywords etc) or does it look into the aperture library? What I expect is that Lr gets all the information out of the edited photographs in Aperture incl. the keywords etc. Is it correct that the importer tool does all that so that at the end I get the Lr ready with referenced photographs again; referenced to my folders in the finder as it was in Aperture?

Best regards, Alex

by Florian Cortese
April 16, 2015 - 5:11am

Alex,  The RAW file stays in the Referenced Library so that is all that Lr ”sees”.  Your edited adjustments will not be transferred (“seen”) by Lr unless you bake them into a JPEG and ADD them to your Lr catalogue.  I know that Aperture Exporter for Lr will copy all of your adjusted photos as JPEGs so that Lr can see your adjustments, they will even copy any of your star rated photos.  Having not used Adobe’s transfer mechanism in Lr5, I am not completely certain as to how or if it handles this.  Keywords do transfer over in both programs, I believe.  I know for a fact that they do with AE.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?