You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Migrating originals from Aperture to Lightroom - XMP Sidecars or not? #1
Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
March 20, 2015 - 4:20pm

It seems that we have a couple of choices when migrating our metadata from Aperture to Lightroom.   Specifically,  we can either bake the metadata into the originals… or leave the originals pristine and use XMP Sidecars to transfer the metadata.

Without thinking this trough completely, it seems to me that using the XMP sidecars is probably the best approach.   I understand that there is the chance of corruption by changing the metadata in originals.

Having said that… I have previously allowed some changes to occur to my originals.   In particular, when I have performed time corrections (ex: to correlate images from a mutli-camera shoot), I would let Aperture change the time within the originals.   I hope that was not a mistake.

Question:  when you migrate images from Aperture to Lightroom… will you use XMP Sidecars to transfer the metadata?

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
March 21, 2015 - 5:08am

It turns out (per my testing) that XMP sidecars do not import into LR at all with JPEG files.  Aperture will create a sidecar for JPEG files, but Lightroom seems to ignore the sidecar for all JPEGs.  My library  has a lot of JPEG-only images, so it seems like sidecars will not be a viable option.

Note:  I am using an older version of LR (v 4.4) so maybe this has been fixed in newer versions.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness