You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mountain Lion and Aperture #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
July 10, 2012 - 12:03pm

I've had Aperture 3 since launch, obviously from outside the AppStore. this gets updated by software update.

So to my understanding, Mountain Lion does away with Software Update, unifying it with the Mac AppStore. How will my updates be delivered? Will I have to buy the AppStore version? Will it just give me the AppStore version? Or will it just be the same, a non-AppStore version simply delivered by the AppStore? (as in software update still exists, it's simply hidden within the AppStore app)

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 11, 2012 - 3:00pm

I’ve been running ML and a pre-App Store Aperture 3, and all has been well. Yep, you can use the App Store still. Think of it as App Store 2.0: Now with Software Update. And, if something really doesn’t work at first, Apple is still making manual installers available on it’s site, so you can at least upgrade manually if anything were ever to go wrong.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
July 10, 2012 - 6:47pm

From what I understand, ML’s App Store will recognize you’ve installed a retail copy of Aperture and essentially update your App Store account to include it. You won’t need to buy the App Store version.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
July 10, 2012 - 9:03pm

Seriously? That’s awesome!

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
July 11, 2012 - 3:31am

I’m really hoping there will be a new version of Aperture alongside Mountain Lion in the App Store when it launches … :D

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 11, 2012 - 4:16am

All Apple software updates in ML go through the MacApp Store, including OS X itself. I only have that version of Aperture so I can’t say for sure how the retail (over the counter) version of Aperture will be updated.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
July 28, 2012 - 7:48am

Pretty sure I didn’t get an appstore version, although it did offer the update through Appstore.

Looks pretty much like standard Software Update, except that it’s now integrated and ‘inside’ the Appstore app.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
July 28, 2012 - 7:50am

I am convinced it is just software update just wrapped in the app store app.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 28, 2012 - 5:06pm

Yes, it’s basically just software update in the App Store app. As far as updates go, however, basically there’s no separate process from regular vs App Store apps.

However, you can’t redownload a new version of Aperture from the app store if you upgrade. You’ll need your original download / disk to do that.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?