You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving an Aperture Library to an external drive #1
Malon Courts's picture
by Malon Courts
January 30, 2012 - 2:15am

My Aperture library contains about 1.9 TB of images and I would like to move them to an external RAID drive that I have set up. There seem to be multiple ways to do this, but I am looking for some advice on the easiest way to get the move done. Some suggest exporting the images to a new library set on the new drive others suggest using the Aperture vault restore feature. I am not real tech oriented and looking for the best solution. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Malon

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 30, 2012 - 12:59pm

hi Malon

I usually go project by project. I select the images I want to move then go to File „, “relocate Masters” in that dialog box select the external drive and the filing criteria (YR Month, Day). Thats it. Don’t forget to have a backup of the new external drive, even if it is a raid. Cheers
david

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Malon Courts's picture
by Malon Courts
January 31, 2012 - 6:49am

David, many thanks will give it a try.

Malon

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 4:09am

Malon,

David’s advice is good. You didn’t say if you were moving the Masters or the entire Library, but I would assume (as did David) that you’re moving just the Masters. In which case, yes, do it as he suggests.

If you’re actually moving the entire Library, then a finder copy of the Library is all you need to do.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Rick Walker's picture
by Rick Walker
July 2, 2013 - 9:55pm

Is there a step by step guide to setting up and working with an external drive? Recommendations of drives that work well and fast with Aperture? I’ve got a new Mac Book Pro with Thunderbolt. I’m concerned about all the parts. Time machine backup, My use of Backblaze. Backing up the external drive. This is getting above my pay grade! Dummies guide. Help

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?