You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving Aperture's library to an external hard drive #1
Susan Fore's picture
by Susan Fore
February 11, 2013 - 9:41am

Greetings,
I recently purchased my first full frame camera and my hard drive is nearly full. I was thinking of moving my Aperture's library to an external hard drive. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? Should I create a few different libraries for home and travel?

Cheers,
Susan

Susan Fore

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 11, 2013 - 10:07pm

It could not be easier. Simply copy the Library from its current location to the external drive. Then double-click the Library on the external drive. Is this a managed or referenced Library? For a managed Library this is all it takes. For a referenced Library you also have to copy the folder containing the referenced images and reconnect them to the Library.

Susan Fore's picture
by Susan Fore
February 12, 2013 - 10:33am

I believe I have a managed library.

Susan Fore

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
February 19, 2013 - 5:35am

I tried it once.

If you can connect using Lightening, it may be a practical solution.

I did it with Firewire 800 and it was so slow even with that that it was unusable. I transferred it to a second HDD inside my Mac Pro and that worked better as it was on the internal bus.

I’d seriously consider a bigger hard drive internally first.

Tom Clarke's picture
by Tom Clarke
November 21, 2013 - 6:03pm

How can I tell if I have a managed or referenced library? I’ll be honest that I wasn’t really paying attention back when I bought and installed Aperture 1…

I thought I had set the library up on an external HD but found out a few weeks back that it was on my computers internal HD. I tried several times to copy, drag, etc… but nothing worked. Finally I created a new library on the external and was switching back and forth as needed. I bought a new iMac last week and just tried merging the internal Ap Library to the externals. This has worked somewhat in that I see all my folders in one library but the files are not connected. I get a yellow triangle or a red slash warning… 

Any suggestions on how to untangle this mess? At what point is it safe to trash the Ap Library that’s sitting on my HD

thomasrobertclarke.com

Javier's picture
by Javier
November 22, 2013 - 7:28am

To see which files are managed and referenced I’d recommend you to go to “all pictures” and in the filter toggle and the rule “file status” then set it to referenced and managed to see which pics are in those states.

It will filter all the pictures in your library and you will be able to see what is the status of all the pictures of your library. Also remember to uncheck all other rules.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?