You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving my library to a Aperture on a new computer #1
Clive Lebozer's picture
by Clive Lebozer
August 11, 2014 - 5:10pm

Hi, I have bought a new 15” macbook pro and want to move my library intact to it from my macbook 12”. Is it possible?

Many thanks!

Clive

Joe's picture
by Joe
August 11, 2014 - 10:48pm

Hi,

Yes, if you have a manage library you only need to transfer the library file to your new macbook. 

Regards,
J.

Clive Lebozer's picture
by Clive Lebozer
August 12, 2014 - 3:27pm

Thanks, but what do you mean by “managed library”? I don’t know if I have that

Clive

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
August 12, 2014 - 7:08pm

Clive: What Joe is saying is “aperture-gospel”.  I think I am saying this correctly.

When you set up Aperture (when you IMPORT IMAGES)  you can choose a MANAGED OR REFERENCED library. Managed library means Aperture puts the photos into a file–the Aperture LIBRARY. Now you have a MANAGED Aperture Library which you may PUT ANYWHERE. BUT no matter where that Library is (external or internal HDD) the library and its pictures and metadata are in one place–a file inside of Aperture.

If you choose a REFERENCED library, that means  you images reside any place you put them–NOT INSDE THE FILE inTHE APERTURE LIBRARY package. APERTURE CAN LINK TO THESE FILES WITH POINTERS. SO Aperture still knows how to find your pictures. But in a sense, you are managing the library, not Aperture. You are telling Aperture where the images live , based on the organizational decisions you have made. . There are advantages to both methods. The KEY DECISION for the Aperture user is WHERE do you want your ORIGINALS to live? Which method, referenced or managed, will best serve your work flow?

This link may be helpful:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7625

Best

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?