You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving referenced library drives... #1
Yoni mintz's picture
by Yoni mintz
August 23, 2010 - 12:56am

Does anyone know if its possible to batch move multiple projects of referenced images in one library. I am moving to a bigger external drive and don't want to have to go in to each project and repoint it to the new referenced file location.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 23, 2010 - 11:56am

Yoni,

Sure thing. You can select multiple projects (Shift-click or Command-click projects in the Library tab) then from the File menu, choose Relocate Masters for Projects… and move all the images in that project.

And congrat’s on getting — and needing! — a bigger drive ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Yoni mintz's picture
by Yoni mintz
August 24, 2010 - 6:45am

Thanks- can you give any guidance as to the recommended number of images in a library? I am using a Drobo Pro to store my referenced masters and my Aperture library sits on my iMac hard drive. Where will I start to see performance drop?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 25, 2010 - 2:18am

Yoni,

Performance has improved dramatically for large libraries with Aperture 3, and in fact I recently merged two large libraries to make one massive one. Certain activities do take some time, such as deleting a project, moving projects, and loading the All Photos view, however once a project is loaded, I’m not really seeing a performance hit.

My current library is over 125,000 images and weighs in at about 200GB — that’s referenced, with almost no previews! Crazy. My actual image masters collection is about 1.5 TB.

@PhotoJoseph

Yoni mintz's picture
by Yoni mintz
August 25, 2010 - 4:15am

When you say disable previews, does that strip them down to nothing? How small can you make them so that they still look ok on iPad or iPhone?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 25, 2010 - 5:35am

Yoni,

You can adjust the size of the previews in the Aperture preferences, and the since the iPad is 1024x768, keeping an image with the largest size of 1204x1024 would be fine. There are various reasons to go a little larger than that (I have mine set to fit within 1920x1920), and I recently posted A Good Reason For Larger Previews on the tips page.

If you’re interested in manually managing the previews themselves, check out this article: A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3. There have been various discussions on this Forum as well.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness