You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
mporting iPhoto Library as referenced files: "operation will require 3 GB"? #1
Argelius's picture
by Argelius
September 20, 2010 - 4:33am

I'm an Aperture newbie and am in the process of importing my iPhoto library into Aperture. After reading some excellent info here, I've elected to have Aperture reference, rather than manage the iPhoto library.

In starting to import my iPhoto library into Aperture, I've decided to keep the files where they are (“referenced”), rather than copying them into Aperture library. When starting the process, Aperture says it will need 3 Gigabytes to complete the operation. If it's not actually moving any files (just referencing them in their current location), why does it require so much disk space? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something… (I have 14,000 photos).

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2010 - 5:41am

Glenn,

Even if the master files aren’t present, Aperture does still take up a considerable amount of space. There’s the metadata (which is small), the Thumbnail (which is some proprietary scalable image thing), plus if you have Previews enabled, those are just JPEG’s at whatever size you’ve determined, so certainly they can take up space, too.

To give you an idea, if memory serves, my main library, which is I believe around 175k images, is about 100GB in size. The master collection is around 1.5TB.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2010 - 5:41am

Glenn,

PS—the final size may actually not quite be 3GB. Aperture is probably calculating a “worst case” scenario, and also needs room to move files around while it’s doing it’s thing.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness