You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need help with repairing Library #1
EvtK's picture
by EvtK
July 18, 2013 - 3:30pm

Hi All,

First post here. Nice to see an active community and site regarding Aperture!

I have a problem with my Library, which I can't get solved, even after I have tried a number of options.

Here is the setup:
I have a library I use with Aperture and iPhoto. It is stored on my NAS (synology) in a sparsebundle journaled disk. I'm on a ethernet connection, using an iMac (late 2012) and have the latest Aperture running.

Here is the problem:
There is something wrong with the library. I have stored about 15.000 pictures in it. Once in a while, my AFP connection with the NAS is lost (need to fix that) while having the library open. Next time I run Aperture, it gives me the notice the library needs to be repaired. Here is where it goes wrong: after repairing (or rebuilding) the library.. it always finds an extra 100 to 600 pictures. But the masters of the pictures are missing (they get the yellow triangle). I can delete them, empty the trash, restart Aperture.. and they are still gone. But if I do a manual repair (using option+control).. they are back! It seems like the images aren't actually deleted when I trash them.

What did I try:
I have repaired, rebuild and restored permissions (using option+control). None of this works. Yesterday (and night) I have tried the option I read about on this website: creating a new library and import the existing library in it. After importing, the photos with yellow triangle were back!

I wonder: is there a way to manually delete these missing photo's from the library (and database?). I would like to have the library/database as clean as possible :)

thanks for any advice!

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 18, 2013 - 6:22pm

< But the masters of the pictures are missing (they get the yellow triangle). I can delete them, empty the trash, restart Aperture.. and they are still gone. But if I do a manual repair (using option+control).. they are back! It seems like the images aren’t actually deleted when I trash them.=>

After a repair Rebuild I think that AP can find in a special (recovered from AP trash” folder, your images. Cant remember where that folder is but I have found it next to mi library (managed) or next to my referenced images on my Drobo. Make sure you are emptying the system trash after emptying AP trash if you really want the images to be deleted.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

EvtK's picture
by EvtK
July 20, 2013 - 5:27am

Hi there, and thanks for your reply. You pointed my in the right direction. After emptying the trash of Aperture.. i found 6 empty projects in my OS X trash.. I emptied this trash also and did a logout/logon.. then I find ‘recovered items’ in my OS X trash.. I empty it again.. do a repair of the library.. and the ghost albums are not returning.

Thanks a bunch!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?