You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need Vault help please #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
November 8, 2011 - 12:58pm

Hi… I'm trying to backup all of my A3 libraries, and want to put them all on the same EHD. But after backing up my main library, and then going to the next library and adding a new vault using the same EHD for the location, I got a message asking me if I'm sure I want to replace the contents of all vaults with the current contents of my library. HUH?? Why won't it just let me backup the second library with a new vault? I'm too afraid to proceed since it took all day today to backup my main library and I'll be so mad if I lose it. What does this message mean? TIA!

~Debbie

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 8, 2011 - 2:06pm

When you add a vault you get the opportunity to name it in the “Add Vault” dialog box. Make sure you are typing a unique name for each vault you create.

Thomas

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
November 8, 2011 - 2:08pm

I did, Thomas. Then I tried to start the backup and got that message.

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
November 8, 2011 - 2:15pm

Ok, I just tried clicking on a different red circle instead of the one at the very bottom, and it started backing up without that message. So, in a panic, I quickly checked the EHD and it’s showing two vaults each with the individual name I gave them. I guess I just solved my own problem. Thanks though!! :)

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 2:23pm

Debbie,

That message shows up because you’ll be replacing the contents of the vault with the current Library — there’s no reverting a vault. It has nothing to do with your other vaults; it’s just saying, basically, “you’re about to make a new backup of this Library and kill the old one… are you sure you want to do that?”

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
November 8, 2011 - 2:43pm

But I had just created the vault. I didn’t have a backup yet. I’m starting all over with my vault backups on a new EHD, so I created the first one for my main library which took most of the day to backup. Then I wanted to do a smaller heritage photos library, so I created a second vault for that, named it, and then tried backing it up using the little red circle at the very bottom, but I got that message. When I tried the other red circle up next to the line showing the actual vault in the little panel that raises up, it let me create the new backup without that message. I confirmed by looking at my EHD that it was a new vault, not the first one I did earlier today. I think I’m okay?

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 3:34pm

Debbie,

Yep, you’re OK. Interesting experience though, for sure. Clicking the red arrows next to a Vault name allows you to back up just that one Vault. You can add multiple Vaults for the same Library in different places (i.e. if you want to have four, one per week, that you update on rotating basis), and then you’d update by click the arrows next to the vault name. If you click the arrow at the bottom, that’s an “update all Vaults” command. However, it wouldn’t affect Vaults from other Libraries. As long as they all have unique names, there’s no way for one to overwrite another.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
November 8, 2011 - 4:00pm

Ok! That’s what I thought, but I got worried for awhile there. Thanks to both of you!

~Debbie

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?