You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
New 21 inch imac--5400 HDD #1
vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
December 29, 2012 - 12:46pm

I've been considering a new imac. Prefer a 21 inch because of office space configuration. It appears that the 21 inch only has a 5400 rpm HDD. I realize this can be configured as a FUSION system. Still it is very difficult to leave the safe haven of 7200 rpm drive. (Note you can get 7200 rpm drive with the 27 inch. ).

Anyone have counsel on wisdom of getting a fusion/ 5400 rpm system?

I had lengthy conversation with sales rep. Very cordial but not a lot of insight into the question of 5400 rpm HDD for aperture needs ( and some light Fcpx and fcp7 editing).

My own hunch is it may be a heat issue in the 21 inch. Be that as it may , I am nervous about buying anything with a 5400 rpm drive. Will go to 27 inch if I have to. But prefer 21 inch. COUNSEL?

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
January 6, 2013 - 1:15am

Butch and Martin: thanks for your insight. Those USB 3 ports do tempt me.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
December 29, 2012 - 2:55pm

Yes, the HD configuration piqued my curiosity as well … especially when 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives are quite affordable … not sure if it is really an issue these days as most of the drives that come in the Macbook Pros are of similar specs and seem to hold up well …

If it is a concern for you … there are still options of purchasing the previous iMac line via the Apple Refurb store which still offer the 3.5 inch 7200 rpm drives … with a substantial savings and full warranty …

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
December 29, 2012 - 10:07pm

Thank, Butch. You are right, of course, on refurb store. But you can’t upgrade ram etc in the refurbs when you order them. So that’s an extra step after you get the refurb.

Martin De's picture
by Martin De
December 30, 2012 - 6:42am

The rpm is not the most important specification for harddisk I think. Imo the accestimes have a greater influence as does internal memory of your computer. Also 5400 rpm is or has been the default for laptops for years and are still used in Macbook Pro’s. Therefore I don’t think it would be a problem running Aperture.

Greetz, Martin

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
December 30, 2012 - 9:47am

Adding RAM to iMacs (except for the most recent models) is child’s play … and far less expensive doing so after the fact … In fact, I have never owned a Mac that I didn’t add RAM to after purchase … though with the 2012 21.5” iMac … that is no longer possible …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness