You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
New HDD - How to Reconnect Referenced RAW when having Managed JPG (RAW/JPG pairs) #1
Teodor's picture
by Teodor
April 6, 2013 - 11:42pm

Hi,

This is my first post. I have found lot of helpful information on this excellent site, but have not been able to find any helpful information about this issue. I hope someone could help.

Perhaps my workflow and philosophy is less than perfect (please feel free to comment on this also!), but this is how I have set things up now and what I would like to do:

I am shooting JPG+Raw. My Aperture Library is on my MBP 13” late 2011.
When importing to Aperture, I first import the JPGs as Managed.
I then import the RAWs I want as Referenced to an external HDD as Matching RAWs.
All videos are also imported as Referenced to the ext HDD.

I have now a new bigger external HDD, to which I want to transfer all RAWs and videos.

I do not understand how to do this?

I have copied all RAWs and videos to the new HDD, but when opening Aperture with the new HDD connected, the connection to the RAWs is not found. I cannot change between using the JPG and RAW as Master. I cannot reconnect the RAWs located on the new HDD.

I would like to keep the setup of Managed JPG and Referenced RAWs…

Any ideas of how to do this, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Teodor's picture
by Teodor
April 24, 2013 - 3:41am

No one that has any idea that could help? Is my question unclear or perhaps just stupid?…
/Thanks!

Teodor's picture
by Teodor
April 24, 2013 - 3:49am

I’ve been thinking about simply using the “Relocate Originals”, but then I guess I lose the possibility to have the jpg managed on my MBP but the RAWs referenced on the HDD. Both “originals” (jpg & raw) will be moved to the new HDD, isn’t that correct?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 24, 2013 - 5:28am

Perhaps you should use the import setting for JPEG+RAW (Both) so that both files show in the browser at the same time. If you use a setting where Aperture only shows the RAW or JPEG one at a time, you give up control to do out of the ordinary things like you want to do.

Or, just import RAW as referenced and forget about the JPEG pair. Aperture can automatically create its own JPEG preview file that it maintains as a managed file. You can control the size/quality of it in Preferences. Of course I realize this won’t work if you really want the JPEG file that the camera produces. But you might need to make some compromises to get things to work.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness