You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noise Reduction Observation #1
Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
December 22, 2013 - 2:33am

One of the (valid) complaints about Aperture is that it’s noise reduction doesn’t do that good of a job.  However….in playing with the noise reduction under RAW Fine Tuning, I’ve found I can get the same results as in Lr.  

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
December 22, 2013 - 5:20am

I would be interested in you sharing your method/findings in detail (pretty please) … I’m likely not alone in that respect … I’ve always found the RAW fine Tuning adjustments to be a bit contrary and finicky …

I haven’t had the time or patience to delve further into the RAW Fine Tuning and would appreciate any insight you or others would care to share.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 22, 2013 - 1:42pm

I too would love to see an ApertureExpert Tip (guest article) on this.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
December 22, 2013 - 4:54pm

I’ll work something up with pretty pictures and submit it for approval, but here’s the quick and dirty -

I shoot with a Nikon D7100 and regularly shoot at ISO 3200 and 6400.  The image quality is very good at these ISO’s, and VERY sharp, but the lack of an optical low pass filter does introduce a bit more luminescence noise.

First, zoom into 100% to an area where you can see noise.  Then, go into RAW Fine Tuning, and adjust D-Noise to about 70-75% for an ISO 6400 shot, and then applying about 25% to the Detail slider, this reduces a large part of the noise while bringing back detail.  I don’t touch any of the other noise reduction sliders, mostly because they tend to cause more blurring than the D-Noise slider does.

Depending upon your camera, your adjustment to the D-Noise slider will vary, but I’m finding it to be very effective.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
December 23, 2013 - 8:42am

Wow! Wow!! 

Fantastic tip, just one question, what’s the ‘detail’ slider. Is that camera specific?

d.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
December 23, 2013 - 9:54pm

OK, found it. D5200 and D610 have Sharpening and Detail sliders, but my main camera D300s has Sharpening and Edges.

d.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
December 23, 2013 - 10:30pm

All of the sliders I used are under the RAW Fine Tuning brick.  Edge Sharpen and Sharpening are separate bricks in and of themselves (Edge Sharpen rocks!)

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
December 24, 2013 - 4:02pm

Yes, me too, but what those raw processing sliders are called depends - amazingly - on which camera you used!

Orrabest

d.

d.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
December 24, 2013 - 4:06pm

Or the RAW engine version used by Aperture when the camera RAW support was added by Apple … I’m not sure legacy RAW conversion has been totally updated when there were changes made over time …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness