You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Opening & Importing problems in Aperture 3.3.2 #1
Ruth Lathlean's picture
by Ruth Lathlean
September 30, 2012 - 9:16pm

I've recently got Mt Lion and upgraded to 3.3.2 and have had nothing but problems. Each time I open any library there is a message about inconsistencies in the data base and the need to repair. The repair is getting slower each time I do it. Then today for the first time I cannot import photos from either of my cameras. With one camera the photos do not show up on the screen and with the other they do,and all appears to be going well until a message appears “Import items completed with errors. Aperture failed to import the items listed below”. What is happening and how do I fix it?

Ruth Lathlean

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 16, 2012 - 4:55am

Ruth,

That’s great news! So to be clear, which permissions did you repair… the Aperture permissions (accessed by holding down command-option on launch), or the OS permissions, repaired by Disk Utility?

For the import problems, I concur with Tom — try using a dedicated card reader.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2012 - 7:54am

Ruth,

Check the FAQ for a variety of repair routines you can run on your Library and system. No this doesn’t sound good, but it does sound like a database issue.

Do you have a backup that goes back to when it worked properly? ie before Mountain Lion? And, have you now upgraded to 3.4.1?

@PhotoJoseph

Ruth Lathlean's picture
by Ruth Lathlean
October 18, 2012 - 12:25pm

Sorry to be so ignorant of the technical things. It was not Disk Utility nor Aperture Permissions which had been tried before. The Apple tech guy talked me through all this and from what I remember we went to Aperture Get Info. and at the bottom of that column activated the little gear. I’ve forgotten what it said but I’m pretty sure it reset user permissions - it took a few minutes to run. When I return to this now it says “Revert changes” and seems to apply to all applications. It fixed both Aperture and iPhoto.

The downloading photos from the camera is not yet fixed. It is the Pentax Optio S7 which is having trouble with this library, not the Lumix. I was talking with an Apple tech and after testing with a new ‘test’ library which imported properly, decided the problem was with that particular library and the projects would have to be imported into a new library. I haven’t tried this yet as I have had a nasty virus for the past week and cannot get my head around anything at the moment. Will continue later.
Ruth

Ruth Lathlean

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 18, 2012 - 12:37pm

Ruth,

Thanks for the update, that’s very helpful. Now I know where to direct people in the future who may have this problem.

I hope you feel better soon and keep us posted on your other progress.

@PhotoJoseph

Ruth Lathlean's picture
by Ruth Lathlean
October 14, 2012 - 9:56am

I upgraded to 3.4.1 and then started getting messages about upgrading every time I opened a library as well as the ‘inconsistencies’ message. I talked with an Apple Adviser and we tried several things before a solution appears to have been user permissions. The messages have disappeared on both Aperture and iPhoto libraries. We still have not solved the camera import problem…. more on that to come.

I had some major problems with the computer recently and needed to retrieve files and the Time Machine Backup disk had to be reformatted so it does not go back very far. Just when needed it was not available!

Thanks for your help.

Ruth Lathlean

Tom McKay's picture
by Tom McKay
October 14, 2012 - 1:32pm

Ruth instead of connecting your camera to your MAC take the SD card out & if your machine has a slot use that or a cheap card reader. Both eliminate the camera & are much safer when downloading. Import directly into Finder then to Aperture.
I too am a MAC user desktop is iMAC so card reader built in. What camera do you use?
Let me know is you can do this & if there were problems downloading.
Tom

You never have enough gear!

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 1, 2012 - 6:07am

3.4.1 is the current version of Aperture. You should try it.

Thomas

Ruth Lathlean's picture
by Ruth Lathlean
October 1, 2012 - 8:34am

As there have been some comments on problems opening the recent version I thought I would leave off using it for a while and fix the one I have. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with the problems I have as they are major ones.

Ruth Lathlean

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness