You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Opinions on new purchase #1
G Mitchell's picture
by G Mitchell
September 25, 2013 - 5:59am

Joseph, I'm considering a purchase of a new iMac 27' to replace my long in the tooth late 2007 iMac. Currently I have 320G on the old machine I have two 500G external drives and use one for Time Machine backup and one for Super Duper to clone the iMac drive.
My thought is to go with the 256 flash drive for speed.Only installing programs and Aperture 3 library and continuing the same back up process. and keeping all my data photos, videos and etc., on a Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo 8TB,. Giving me a 4TB data storage and a 4TB raid0 or raid1. And all of that being backed up to my BackBlaze account. Or do you think I'm better of with more iMac hard drive space.

G. Mitchell

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
September 30, 2013 - 11:11pm

I think (:-0) it should be fine. And you can hang another thunderbolt drive off the iMac for further storage if needed. I think that we are headed to external storage and access anyway (ex new mac Pro). Have fun with the new machine and try not to rub it in too much. :-) dbm

ps dont over think it… It wont be the last time you get to upgrade.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 1, 2013 - 3:13am

I store all images on external drives. Since I personally use both Aperture & Lightroom I run Aperture as a reference file. This way I use the same images with both programs. Images are stored on an external Drobo 5D (Thunderbolt) that has 5 3TB drives installed. I have it setup where I can have up to two drives fail and still be able operate. I do backup to three external USB 3.0 drives. Use Super Duper to clone. Store one off site (bank safety deposit box) and replace about once a month.

Currently using a MacBook Pro 15” Retina Display 512 Flash Memory and 16GB Ram. So as you can see I do not store any images on the laptop. When traveling I use a couple of portable USB 3.0 drives.

Just a note that the way I have the Drobo setup maybe a little slower than Raid 0. However it is safer in case a drive fails.

Stu

G Mitchell's picture
by G Mitchell
October 1, 2013 - 5:18am

@DBmorre, @Stu
Thank you for your input. I agree we are moving to external and cloud storage / access.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t over looking some facet that I would regret later.
As in the choice of Raid vs Drobo. And being reminded with thunderbolt, adding HD space to the iMac, would not be much hindrance as far as speed degradation Again Thank you both.
GMitchell

G. Mitchell

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?