You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Outputting to JPEGs in the Print Module #1
Diego Jose's picture
by Diego Jose
March 15, 2010 - 2:34pm

Hi! I’m a Lightroom 2 user and I’m really loving my trial in Aperture 3 but I need a way to output the layouts I make in the Print Module to JPEGs. I can only seem to output them to PDFs and I found a way to go through the PDF to JPEG.

Is that a good way? I was hoping that I could do it directly and have control over the PPI and color profile.

I need this because I use the Print module in LR a lot and output them to JPEGs for my printing lab.

Diego Jose's picture
by Diego Jose
March 15, 2010 - 2:40pm

An example I use the Print Module for is making printed contact sheets for portraits. I make instructions, put the file names all within the module instead of having to lay them out in Photoshop. I then output them as JPEG in 300dpi with my printing lab’s color profile.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 16, 2010 - 11:02am

Diego,

Sure thing. And it’s in the same spot where I assume you found the PDF output.

Layout the print as you want it, and to set resolution, click on More Options and set Print Resoltion to Custom and enter the resolution you like. Then hit the Print… button, and then the PDF pull-down menu. One of the options is “Save PDF to folder as JPEG”. Those are built-in Applescripts, and when you select it, a PDF will be generated then the script will convert it to a JPEG for you and place it wherever you like. It may seem like nothing is happening for a few moments while it works, but just give it a little time and you’ll see the results!

Hmm… I just tested it and it appears that when you do this, the chosen resolution is ignored and all JPEG output comes out at 200dpi. Check it out and see if you see the same thing.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Diego Jose's picture
by Diego Jose
March 17, 2010 - 8:52am

Thanks for the reply, Joseph.

I tried it out and you’re right it outputs to 200dpi. The color profile was also ignored and is at sRGB.

I tried tinkering around with the PDF actions but I can’t seem to make it work the way I need it to

Any more suggestions?

Diego

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2010 - 10:55am

Diego,

I did a little more digging, and am going to hand this one back to you to finish ;-)

Those actions, like “Save PDF to folder as JPEG” are actually .workflow files and live in Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services. That’s in your root level, not your home folder. Double-click that script and it will open in Automator.

(You can also get to them from any print dialog by choosing Edit Menu… from the bottom of the PDF menu, and then option-double-click on a listing there to open it directly.)

From there you can edit the script. However I noticed that on mine, it’s set to 300dpi. Yet what we’re seeing is 200dpi. Also there is a very limited set of color models it will save to.

I’d go through other PDF-related actions in there and see if you can find one that will actually convert to the resolution you specify.

If it really can’t be done and you have Photoshop, you could create a droplet from Photoshop to convert the PDF to a JPEG the appropriate resolution and color model.

keep us posted,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?