You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Overriding Olympus RAW file in-camera crop #1
Ray Ludwig's picture
by Ray Ludwig
September 28, 2012 - 1:39pm

When I import RAW files from my Oly E-PL2 for which I have set an aspect ratio other than the native 4:3, Aperture reads this and displays the set ratio in both the thumbnail and in the viewer. How can I revert to the original 4:3 (the full RAW data) in Aperture? I know the original RAW file still has all the data because if I export the original and open it in Olympus Viewer 2, the full 4:3 is there with the crop overlaid.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2012 - 5:06pm

Ray,

Very interesting indeed. Unfortunately I don’t see a way to do get to the rest of the data.

I imported the .ORF file to Aperture, and saw it square. I opened it in Photoshop CS 6, and saw it square. I imported it into Lightroom, and in the import window, I saw the full width — but then once imported, it was square again, with seemingly no way to view any other version. To be fair though I don’t know Lr very well at all, so maybe there’s something hidden that I’m missing.

I’m not sure what else to tell you except that this seems to be a very proprietary issue that only Olympus’s own software will reveal.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Ray Ludwig's picture
by Ray Ludwig
September 28, 2012 - 5:18pm

Thanks for looking into it. Since it happens with both the Aperture and Photoshop converters it may be something that Olympus is doing to spoof them from looking at the full data in the file, although you said LR could see it in the import window. Aperture shows it square in the import preview. As I mentioned, Olympus Viewer 2 shows the full size with an overlay showing the crop. Something like that would be nice in Aperture.

I guess for now in the cases where I want to recrop from the full size I will have to do it in the Olympus app.

Thanks,

Ray

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2012 - 2:33pm

Ray,

Are you shooting RAW+JPG and viewing the JPEG in Aperture? If so, you’ll see a little [J] in the corner of the image. Go to the Photos menu I believe and set RAW as Master to see the original.

If that’s not the case, I’d love to see the RAW file. Never heard of an in-camera crop that reads on the RAW file in Aperture.

@PhotoJoseph

Ray Ludwig's picture
by Ray Ludwig
September 28, 2012 - 2:53pm

Thanks for the reply Joseph. No it was shot RAW only. I will show you the file if you will tell me how I can send it to you. I’d prefer not to make it available to everyone.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2012 - 4:24pm

Ray,

If you use Dropbox just email me a link, or you can use this site’s own DROP BOX, under the MORE menu above.

@PhotoJoseph

Ray Ludwig's picture
by Ray Ludwig
September 28, 2012 - 4:43pm

Joseph,

File emailed.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness