You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Partial Backup #1
Nigel's picture
by Nigel
May 24, 2013 - 3:49am

Is there any way to do a partial backup of my Aperture library?
I have a 2012 folder that never gets touched, and I'd like to backup just that folder to another HD and delete the pics so they won't take up all that space.

I don't mind doing some kind of workaround, it's only an annual thing.
Suggestions?

Alan Sanders's picture
by Alan Sanders
October 23, 2013 - 10:31am

OK, thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just do one album at a time and see how the numbers stack up.

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 21, 2013 - 5:56pm

Your USB flash drive is probably formatted as FAT32. Aperture libraries can only live on drives formatted as ‘Mac OS Extended’. You need to reformat your USB drive.

Here’s a support article with more info:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Alan Sanders's picture
by Alan Sanders
October 22, 2013 - 7:58am

thanks Jim

Alan Sanders's picture
by Alan Sanders
October 22, 2013 - 9:07am

Continuation from above. In planning for backing up onto a suitably formatted USB drive, I first want to determine the size (Megs/Gigs) of the individual albums. How is this done in Aperture?

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 22, 2013 - 9:35am

One way would be to export the album to your hard drive, then copy it to the USB drive. I don’t think there’s any way in Aperture to determine the size of an album/project/folder.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 22, 2013 - 10:19am

And in this case if you’re attempting to export as a library, there’s a bunch of overhead files (thumbnails, previews, database files) that will make the library larger than the sum of the original images. No way to predict the size of it.

Thomas

Alan Sanders's picture
by Alan Sanders
October 21, 2013 - 8:34am

Tried above “export to folder as a new library” but got this reply - “The library could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is not supported.” I was wanting to backup on to a USB. What is this telling me? I have Aperture 3.1.2. Thanks.

Nigel's picture
by Nigel
June 21, 2013 - 7:42am

So simple I totally missed it!
Thanks John.!.!

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
May 25, 2013 - 1:33am

Select that folder and “export folder as a new library “
Select your drive location.
Very simple.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness