You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photo Stream turns off in Aperture #1
Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
January 22, 2012 - 1:05am

I turned on Photo Stream in Aperture back in October when it became available. Works great except about once a month when I open Aperture it acts like I never have used it before. If I select Photo Stream in the sidebar, I get the 'want to turn on Photo Stream' page.
All my photo stream photos are still in my Aperture library in the monthly photo stream folders. If I turn it back on then it proceeds to download all my Photo Stream photos so they can be seen by selecting Photo Stream in the sidebar.
No harm done. I haven't lost any photos but it takes a while to redownload them.

Any one had this annoying problem?

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 23, 2012 - 3:45am

Jim,

Any chance you’re opening Aperture or iPhoto on another system that has Photo Stream enabled? AFAIK Photo Stream can only be enabled on one Aperture or iPhoto at a time.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
January 23, 2012 - 1:00pm

Joseph,
No only Aperture. But now that you mention it. I do clone my drive. Could that be it? Looks like two versions of Aperture? I never open Aperture on my clone drive (no need yet - knock on wood).
I also access PhotoStream on my iPhone and iPad.

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 24, 2012 - 3:59am

Jim,

Hm, no I don’t see that a cloned drive could cause the problem.

Of course as soon as I responded to you yesterday, I opened my Aperture, and guess what — Photo Stream was disabled. I checked Aperture on my laptop, and it was disabled there as it should have been. I reenabled it, and it’s showing nearly 2,000 images… which isn’t quite right as the limit is 1,000 images! So I think there’s something amiss in the land of Photo Stream.

I’m going to manually disable mine, and reenable and see what happens.

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
January 24, 2012 - 10:08am

Joseph,

Sorry for the bad karma.

Interestingly this time when Photo Stream restarted it doesn’t show all my photos (500-600) since last October like it did previously. Now it only shows the photos in the last 30 days, i.e. since 12/24/11.
But on my iPhone or iPad I see all 500-600 photos in my Photo Stream.

Strange.

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 25, 2012 - 4:54am

Well mine is in even worse shape, if that’s any consolation ;-)

I had nearly 2,000 images in my Photo Stream in Aperture, which isn’t possible. I have exactly 1,000 in my iPhone and iPad.

I reset it, and now have only 156 images. And it’s holding at that number, deleting older ones as new ones come in.

The 156 I do have go all the way back to November, the oldest photos in my stream, so clearly there’s something wonky happening here.

I’m looking for a way to do a full reset of Photo Stream in Aperture (NOT the entire Photo Stream; just Aperture’s view of it). There’s got to be a cache to trash somewhere.

I’ll update this post if I figure it out.

@PhotoJoseph

Ken Loh's picture
by Ken Loh
July 5, 2012 - 4:50am

I have this same problem and it’s annoying. I used Photo Stream flawlessly on iPhoto prior to the Unified Library approach, but now that I’ve done that, I use Aperture mostly which is where I want my Photo Stream to go. I only open iPhoto when I want to use that for keyword assignments (which is much easier IMO than Aperture). I realize Photo Stream can only be used on one app at a time, so I have disabled it in iPhoto, but Aperture still wants to re-download all 1000 images frequently which is a pain.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 5, 2012 - 11:03pm

Me three. I have seen this in Aperture 3.2 and 3.3.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 6, 2012 - 7:25am

Yeah…I’ve actually got the same problem right now as well. I’m still investigating on my system, and I’m thinking it’s a OS X issue. However, I’m also running 10.8 right now so that could be the cause of my issues as well.

Has anyone tried fulling removing and re-adding all their iCloud account details? This has been a fix in the past, I just haven’t gotten around to testing it this time…

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 18, 2012 - 11:02am

I think i’ve actually got a solution! :) Well, it worked for me.

What you need to do is go to ~/Library/Application Support/ and in that folder there’s on called iLifeAssetManagement. This contains your photo stream data (which is hopefully in projects already) so you can just delete this folder, restart Aperture and then reenable photo stream. If it doesn’t work initially, you might also try disabling and re-enabling photo stream in the general icloud settings, then doing it in Aperture.

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 17, 2012 - 3:27pm

I’d like to join the club.

Mine has done it for a long time actually, months, maybe all of 2012, I’m not sure. It bothers me but I don’t depend on Photo Stream so it’s nothing more than annoying to me - but still annoying.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?