You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photobooks & Equal Spacing? #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
August 23, 2011 - 4:37am

I am trying to create a custom layout of a page with 25 photos on one page, these are small instagram photos that I would like to print.

The difficulty I am having is trying to get equal spacing between the photos.

I want to have them on a grid of 5 x 5, is there any way that I can click a button to get all the photos to have the same distance between each other?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 23, 2011 - 1:13pm

Have you tried to just use the print command (without a book)? In the layout section of the print dialog you can set the number of rows and columns to 5 and set the row and column spacing. Seems like it does what you want in seconds.

If you get the layout like to want it, just save it as a custom preset using the gear menu at the bottom of the print dialog.

Thomas

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
August 23, 2011 - 4:11pm

So are you thinking: Once I have my page layout to then add my pictures to it by going to print the page out, however instead of printing save it to JPEG or Tiff in order to bring the perfect layout (with images) back in to my book in aperture?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 23, 2011 - 10:32pm

Chris,

What is your final output? A book? or printed pages?

I assumed you were only using the book layout tools to get your 25 images per page and that you weren’t going to actually make a book. But if you are making a real book, your last suggestion would work but not a cleanly as getting the actual book layout correct.

To get the book layout right, I think you’ll have to use the info panel where you can set the exact position and size dimensions for each photo on a page. It can be tedious to setup the first time but you only have to do it once. You can save the layout as a master template and reuse it over and over.

I actually use the book layout tools for projects other than books. For example, I was making a calendar in iPhoto and iPhoto’s calendar templates are too rigid. So I made a custom book layout in Aperture and in the book print dialog I used the PDF menu command to save the output directly to iPhoto to make the calendar. Worked like a champ.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 24, 2011 - 3:08am

Chris, I concur with Thomas on this… the easiest way is to use the Contact Sheets template in the regular Print dialog, and that’ll give you the 5x5 grid you want. And yes, you could do that, and bring a TIF back into Aperture to put to a book, but that’s annoying. There’s no easy way to do a page layout other than what Thomas has suggested, but again, once it’s done and saved, it’s done.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?