You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photos App Auto Launch #1
Lightscap3s's picture
by Lightscap3s
December 24, 2015 - 5:21am

Hello All,

Lightroom CC user here, and I re-format my memory cards after each import into Lightroom. 

Question: Since memory cards are re-formatted my Photos app will always launch when a memory card is found. Is there anything I can do to prevent my Photos app from auto launching when a re-formatted card is used?

jcraig's picture
by jcraig
December 25, 2015 - 7:01pm

If there is a way from within Photos, I haven't noticed BUT just go to Image Capture in Applications folder, open, insert a card and bottom left you will be able to set your machine to open nothing when cards are inserted.

jcraig

Lightscap3s's picture
by Lightscap3s
December 25, 2015 - 9:11pm

Thanks! My Image Capture  settings where set along time ago and doesn’t carry over to the Photos app. However, re-formatted cards doesn’t affect the Image Capture app like they do the Photo’s app.

My next step my be to simply figure out a way to delete the Photos app from all OS machines and use the iCloud version if needed

jcraig's picture
by jcraig
December 25, 2015 - 11:53pm

As far as reformatting, that does seem to trigger Image Capture to reset to open Photos (whether the setting was made in Image Capture or right in Photos). It looks to me like they've set the system to be able to be set to individual cards, cameras, etc. The down side being it senses a reformatted card as a new device. The only solution I see is a preference setting for never opening Photos when a camera or card is inserted. In the meantime the setting can help only if one avoids what might be over-reformatting. Looks more like an issue Apple should address rather than something that can be addressed.

jcraig

Lightscap3s's picture
by Lightscap3s
December 26, 2015 - 2:38am

Hmm, are you saying theres a preference setting to have Photos app never open when a camera or card is inserted? I’ve never seen this option anywhere.

over-reformatting - I’ve never head of such a thing. I’ve always reformatted my cards in camera to insure longevity and decreasing the chance of corruption. I’m sure this can turn into a long opinionated conversation - LOL

Thanks for Everything!

jcraig's picture
by jcraig
December 26, 2015 - 4:54am

Sorry, just saying that such a setting is needed – I admit that I prefer that nothing ever opens when I insert a card. As far as reformatting, I know people of both extremes, from never by neglect – until they lose images – to every use. I'm pretty sure that there is a huge gray area in-between. Hey, with all the frustrations that Lightroom presents, this one is pretty minor.

jcraig

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 4, 2016 - 12:39am

There is an article over on Petapixel on how to set a preference to stop Photos from opening for any new or newly formatted memory card. It requires a command-line operation in Terminal. Head over to the link for the details.

It works. Thanks to @Derrick_Story for posting the link on Twitter.

Thomas

Lightscap3s's picture
by Lightscap3s
January 4, 2016 - 12:55am

Thank You Much for passing such helpful information on! I’m not sure how I missed this tweet - LOL

Harry smith's picture
by Harry smith
January 21, 2016 - 12:27pm

I appreciate your all pic because your all picture really so beautiful. i appreciate your hard working.   Buy Rubber Matting Uk from http://expressrubbermatting.co.uk/rubber-matting.html

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?