You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Picture Control - Scene Capture Type #1
Tom McKay's picture
by Tom McKay
June 18, 2012 - 2:35pm

At the bottom of the new Info tab there is Scene Capture Type. Is this the same as Picture Control on the camera?
I ask because in Aperture it only has Standard - Portrait & Landscape even when Vivid, Monochrome or Neutral have been set on camera.

You never have enough gear!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2012 - 1:51am

Tom,

It’s not new, that was in Aperture 3.2.4 and it’s probably been there forever. It’s an EXIF field, which are standardized (not made up by Apple). That said, not all camera manufacturers write to every EXIF field. I would guess that some camera manufacturers do populate this as you change modes on the camera, but (clearly) not all.

I searched my entire Aperture library for EXIF > Scene Capture Type > Is not empty and is not > Standard [screenshot] and out of over 160k images, less than 1k matched the search.

I’m seeing things like “Night scene” on a Sony point-and-shoot camera, “Portrait” on a Canon point-and-shoot, “Night scene” on a Sony Ericsson cell phone camera, and so on. Nearly every photo that has one is a point-and-shoot, with the exception of one D7000 image with “Portrait” mode applied.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Tom McKay's picture
by Tom McKay
June 19, 2012 - 3:39am

Thnx Joe for skinny. I knew it was there but never use them. I always figured that I can change then in capture NX2 if needed. I am Nikon user.
New D7000 so experimenting with everything & noticed the exit didn’t show up for all pictures & wondered why. Thnx again
T

You never have enough gear!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness