You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Places map keeps zooming out! #1
Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
November 17, 2013 - 1:29pm

This is driving me insane.

In Places, zoom into the map to find the exact location then, as soon as you click in the filmstrip underneath the map to select photos the map zooms back out (it appears to zoom to show the whole country you are searching in).

It seems that if you select the photo(s) first then it works fine - you can click and drag the selected photo(s) without the map zooming, but sometimes it is not possible to pre-select the photo(s), for example you might not be able to tell whether several photos were taken from the same spot but facing in different directions until you’ve found the location on the map.

Anyone else seeing this? I would say that this is a bug, it’s certainly intensely annoying.

Alternatively, does anyone have a suggestion of another way to find an exact location before selecting the photo(s)?

TattooedMac's picture
by TattooedMac
November 19, 2013 - 2:01am

I wrote this big huge reply for you Mark, but because it seems with the change over of the Site, it went missing, so here it is in Short. 

I Tried to replicate what you are getting, but know i couldn’t. I could even go off to another view and come back and it was still zoomed in. I suggest you quit Aperture, then hold down ⌘ and ⌥ (Command & Option) and now click Aperture Open and you will get this window 

I suggest you choose Repair Permissions First then Repair Database and if all that fails, go into Disk Utility and do a Repair Permissions and see if its any better.  But check your Places between each of the repairs.

Now onto the easy way of doing this. I have found a Few Apps for iPhone and i suppose there will be the same on the Google Play Store too, but i use :

1. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps4cam-pro-geotagging-for/id555114973?mt=8  gps4cam pro But there are a couple of other good ones as well, called
  2. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/placetagger/id311291645?l=es&mt=8 Place Tagger 
  3. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geotagr-a.k.a.-geologtag/id294194869 GeoTagr

And with these you make sure they are clock syncd with your device, and you then Pins for where you where at certain times. You then either email, or Dropbox yourself the .gpx file and import it into Aperture under the GPS drop down and selecting Import GPS Track. Some of the above Apps make a whole track of everywhere you have been while it was on, and gps4cam just has pin placements, and it imports them straight into Places for you. Then you select the images and drop them in the appropriate places.

gps4cam Pro also has a Mac App and if you drop all your images into that, then import the .gpx file, it automatically Geotags the images, then save them and import into Aperture, and they are already geotagged for you :) Simple simon :)

Hope this helps you a little bit.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunnelling through a mountain with your forehead.
"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller

Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
November 19, 2013 - 9:33pm

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried all those but it hasn’t solved the issue, but it does seem to have reduced the frequency of the problem. It’s become more random whereas before it happened nearly every time I clicked on a photo.

I think I’ll try doing Rebuild Database and see if that does the trick since Repair appears to have helped.

I’ll post back with the results…

Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
November 19, 2013 - 10:22pm

Just done a Rebuild and no change. However, I’ve sussed out what it’s doing (and probably why) and, sadly, I suspect it’s the intended behaviour.

When I click a photo that hasn’t been assigned a location the map zooms out to show all the location pins for the current project - although it’s not doing it 100% reproducibly (I expect that is a bug). As the project I’m currently doing is a road trip to Sweden it covers an area in excess of 10,000 sq. miles it zooms out a long way, but what took me so long to work it out is that there were a couple of photos taken in England but the pin for those was hidden behind the map scale in the bottom left corner so it was zooming out way beyond Sweden.

I’ve proved this theory by trying another project covering a different country and, sure enough, it’s zooming out to all the pins in that project.

My guess is that this is by design so you can drag the photos to any pin on the map, which is fine if your project only covers a small area, e.g. a single town or city, but if, like mine, it’s a road trip covering several countries then it becomes unusable as the scale is such that you can’t drop photos with any real precision plus many of the existing pins merge into a single one.

Looking at your screenshot you’re in Australia, but your projects/folders cover only a small area so I guess if you drop pins in every major city in Australia you’ll see it zoom out to show the whole country.

I’m going to give feedback to Apple suggesting they change this behaviour or, at least, add a pref to force the map to stay at the zoom level the user sets.

BTW, I have GPS4cam but I’m currently geo-tagging legacy photos (plus I often to forget to start GPS4cam!)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?