You are here

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Places Slideshows #1
Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 15, 2012 - 3:13pm

What happened to the ability to make Places Slideshows? With Ap 3.3, I can now create it in iPhoto and then play/edit in Aperture, but the Aperture control set is so much more complete. This is particularly frustrating to have disappear as documenting my travels is my main interest and this is such a cool ability.

While I'm in, can you only make a slideshow of single Project? How do you duplicate versions to a multiple day (I made my library structure similar to Joe's) since all of my photos of my trip to … occur over several days. I want my slideshow to be of the trip, not the day.

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 17, 2012 - 2:34am

Dwane,

Can you try reinstalling Aperture? I’m not sure where the resources live for the slide shows, so it’s hard to track that down. But try just deleting the app itself (not the App Support folder, at least not yet), and re-downloading from the App store or reinstalling from DVD.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 17, 2012 - 4:31am

Joseph;

Pardon my ignorance (as I’m prone to saying a lot more lately, ” I am my dad!), but you’re saying to delete the Aperture file in the Applications folder in Finder?

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 17, 2012 - 4:39am

Dwane,

Yep. Did you buy Aperture from the App Store? If so, you’ll be able to re-download from there easily. If you buy on DVD, make sure you have that on hand. Someone posted a link to the downloadable DMG here somewhere… I can find it if you need it.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 17, 2012 - 5:18am

I actually have the disk, I think I may have gotten Aperture before the App Store existed?? Anyway, in Paris till tomorrow night and will try to re-load when I get back home.

Thanks to both you and Vidpixarts for your assistance.

P.S. talked the “mrs.” into a new lens (Nikon 50mm F1.4G). What an awesome piece of glass!

Dwane Watsek

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 18, 2012 - 5:38am

Joseph;

I’ve deleted the Aperture file from the Applications folder, reloaded my Aperture disk and then looked for the updates and successfully re-upgraded to 3.3. Same situation. Those Places-themed slideshows recently created in iPhoto play properly. Those created earlier no longer have the Places theme and Places is not an option when I attempt to create a new slideshow.

The re-loading apparently did resolve my ability to drag photos from one Project to the slideshow without moving them.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 5:48am

Dwane,

Huh. I’m stumped. Have you by chance repairs permissions on the drive using Disk Utility? I wonder if there’s a permissions issue in some shared resource.

In the meantime I’m going to see if I can find out more details on where this slideshow data is actually stored. I think that will be the key we need to solve this mystery.

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 5:50am

Also, I don’t know if it’d be related or not, but can you access any of the travel themes in books?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 18, 2012 - 5:55am

Great thought, same issue…no Places themes in any of the size formats.

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 6:03am

OK try system permissions

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 18, 2012 - 12:52pm

Joseph;

Not really certain what you’re saying…I assumed you wanted me to go into Disk Utilities and Verify Disk Permissions (done…really big list of stuff I can’t read…something to the effect “Permissions differ on “Library/Image Cap…Id be drwxr-xr-x: ther drwxrwxr-x”. I then did Repair Disk Permissions…didn’t really see anything happen, and then a Verify Disk, nothing really happened. Alas, did a restart of Aperture and still no Places-themed Slideshow options.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 18, 2012 - 1:08pm

Joseph;

Did some browsing on the Apple Support site…does this make sense to you?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3551
Aperture 3.1: Some slideshow themes are not available unless iLife ‘11 is installed
Products Affected
Aperture 3.x

Symptoms
Some of the slideshow themes you may expect to find in Aperture 3.1 are not available.

Resolution
The following slideshow themes are only available in Aperture 3.1 if iLife ’11 is also installed:
Origami
Reflections
Vintage Prints
Photo Mobile
Holiday Mobile
Places

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
June 18, 2012 - 1:38pm

Dwane: I would have thought you would be in the ELIGIBLE UNIVERSE for places - slideshows in aperture 3 because earlier in the thread you seemed to say you had updated iPhoto. So if I correctly understood that post- this does not seem to explain the aperture behavior you are experiencing.

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 19, 2012 - 12:59am

Vidpixarts;

I did the routine software update, but don’t believe I ever actually upgraded to iPhoto ‘11 (iLife 11) because I migrated to Aperture (why do I need two photo editors?). I’m not really certain what the auto update did, but I’ll find out when I get home from work.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
June 19, 2012 - 1:28am

Dwane: I can’t tell you you need 2 pieces of software. But as you see on this site since the last upgrade of AP–certain pieces of the architecture seem to require both programs. Or at least certain pieces of the architecture “play to both programs” .

So you do make an interesting point–why 2 programs. But I think you have solved your places slide show issue with the information you found on the app support page. Unless Joseph and others think I am way off the mark–my instinct is that we will read a JOY-REPORT from you after you update iPhoto. Let us know. Good luck.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2012 - 3:14am

Dwane,

Hold on, you haven’t upgraded iPhoto to 9.3 yet?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 19, 2012 - 4:09am

Sorry;

Just confirmed that I am indeed running iPhoto 9.3

I’m a member of “it just works” crowd…I’ve not upgraded to iLife 11, but am using the auto update and iPhoto just updated the day or so before Aperture and just confirmed that it is 9.3.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2012 - 4:43am

I don’t think you would need iLife in its entirety, its only iPhoto that it’s a part of. And if iPhoto is 9.3 and running the themes fine, I’m at a total loss.

I have a message in to find out more, but this is pretty low priority by bug standards. If/when I hear something I’ll update you, in the meantime maybe reinstall iPhoto too.

I’m kinda out of options at this point, very hard to troubleshoot these things from afar!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
June 16, 2012 - 3:00am

Dwane: I only did a small test/but places slideshow worked for me in aperture 3.3

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 16, 2012 - 4:26am

It was working fine a week or so ago, then it wasn’t even an option this week. No idea what I may have done to turn it off as an option?

Dwane Watsek

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
June 16, 2012 - 5:55am

Dwane: In APERTURE 3.3 settings–Advanced–do you have “look up places automatically” selected? Could that be a factor?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 16, 2012 - 9:51am

Dwane,

I too am seeing my Places slideshows, like this: [screenshot].

Are you saying that in that same “new slideshow” window, you don’t have the Places theme like I do?

As far as your “limited to single project slideshows”; no not at all. Once you create a slideshow, it’s no different than any other album in Aperture — just drag photos from any project you like into it.

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 16, 2012 - 3:05pm

Vidpixarts;

Yes, “look up places automatically” is selected, and I have the ability to use the Places functions in everything except as a Theme when creating a slideshow.

Joseph;

I think that answers your first question as well. This is really wierd, now it seems to work to drag. The other day, it would move the entire project into the slide show, not copy/duplicate, totally messing up my filing structure. Those rascally electrons!

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 16, 2012 - 3:51pm

Arrrgghhghh!

And now I just discovered that all of my previous Places-themed slideshows have lost the Places themes. They play as the default slideshow themes.

Dwane Watsek

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 16, 2012 - 4:00pm

Dwane,

Have you updated and launched iPhoto since updating Aperture? As a recall, when these themes were added to Aperture, they required iPhoto to be installed.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
June 16, 2012 - 4:58pm

Joseph;

Indeed I have. In fact, I can create the Places-themed slide show in iPhoto, then place it in Aperture unti I close Aperture. The theme is no longer adhered when I re-open Aperture.

Very confusing.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
July 29, 2012 - 3:21pm

Joseph;

First off, congrats on your wedding!

I think I’ve finally solved this issue. What I believe happened is that I errantly moved my iPhoto themes when I was trying to clean up my Dock and created a folder of all my photo related apps (which I’d still like to do, but will wait to ensure this works first).

I went ahead and deleted the iPhoto program like you suggested I do for Aperture earlier (which incidentally, I’ve done 3 times now) and re-installed it fresh from the App Store ($15 is cheaper than the phone time with an Apple tech).

Voila! The Places theme is now back in Aperture and appears to work like it is supposed to.

Dwane

Dwane Watsek

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?