You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Places - what am i not getting right? #1
Joe's picture
by Joe
November 4, 2012 - 7:49pm

Dears,

After a few years playing with iPhoto and started to feel limited, i have freshly move to Apperture. After multiple reading on this site, I have decided to perform some major spring cleaning (that will cettainly take a nice part of my winter :) ) to adapt my library structure and better use some features.

While I start to have a clear idea on how to restructure my projects and albums, i still have doubts on places. My goal is to harmonize my places naming as currently it is a real mess and make the entry and search process not efficient.

My issue is that i get lost between my personnal places and out of the box places. Here is the scenario:
In one city, there is a monastry. In the out of the boxes places, i can find the name in english and in french version. None of them is matching for me a logical way to assign the place name. I have created with the menu metadata > manage places a custom place. I have assign this custom places to the picture.
When i go to the places view, i dont see my place name, but the automatic fench one…

I have try:
> recreate my custom place and assign it to picture
> try to add and rename the standard place
> check the mpa for overlapping but i dont see any

Any idea how to handle this? Is there some way to avoid that the out of the box places name get used at all?

Thanks in advance for your advises as it will help me to start my cleanup exercise.
Rwgards,
J.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
November 6, 2012 - 2:39am

Hi Joe:

First, welcome to the world of Aperture, and to this website!

I’ve played around with places quite a bit, so hopefully I (or someone else here) can get this resolved for you.

I’m assuming you’ve created your custom place, and assigned it to a photo. If you go to that photo and select the Info tab, you should see the location and map at the bottom of the Info tab. Is it displaying the correct location? Is it displaying the name that you assigned to that location? If not, select the little gear icon and then “Location Name”. Is your location name listed in that list? Is it checked?

Now go to the Library tab and select Places. Note that Aperture will “consolidate” places if there are too many, for example, putting just one pin to represent several places in Los Angeles. On the map, hold the Control key down and draw a rectangle with your mouse. You should then zoom in to that area. If there were multiple locations represented by one pin previously, they should now have their own pin. You may have to zoom in several times. After zooming in, do you see the name of the location that you entered as your custom place?

Tim

Joe's picture
by Joe
November 6, 2012 - 7:10am

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for the grettings and the first feedback. So here are my tests according to your posts:
The picture is correctly assigned to my custom place. In the list, I have my custom place and also standard place. My place is correcty selected.
When i go in places and zoom, i still see the standard place.

My impression is that the custom place and standard place are highly overlapping. Fr some reason, when i amin places view it islike if the standard olace is winning…

Hope it helps,
J.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?