You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Possible Aperture & 5D Mark III Highlight Issue #1
Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 8, 2012 - 12:15pm

Just did a blog post here: http://www.jonroemer.com/blog/2012/04/5d-mark-iii-aperture-highlight-issue/ .

Aperture having trouble recovering highlights leaving areas with color shifts and banded edges.

Might be limited to high ISO images or could be the result of an in-camera setting. Comparisons to DPP and ACR in blog post.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 8, 2012 - 12:22pm

Jon,

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. The first samples are really bad, I must say. The last one though; isn’t the Aperture one the best of the bunch? You see detail in the blue collar that’s missing in the other shots. The background highlight is arguable, but it’s all lost regardless.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 8, 2012 - 12:30pm

Something’s going on regardless that should not be.

The last series the lighter blue/cyan because of its sharp edge is not good and even the small light blog on the right side has the the same cyan color to it. It’s one thing to recover highlights and another to put a color shift in them with a defined edge to them.

The woman with the column is similar. Aperture is the best of the bunch overall but that highlight on her neck makes it unusable in terms of giving it to a client.

If you want to see the raw files I can send you a link off-forum.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 8, 2012 - 12:37pm

I hear ya. Thanks for the details.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness