You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Presets to Mimic In-Camera Conversions #1
Kevin Mantooth's picture
by Kevin Mantooth
November 8, 2010 - 11:05am

I have a buddy who's a die-hard hobbyist. He surprised me with a couple odd choices over the past year. First, he abandoned RAW processing b/c his processing time couldn't keep up with the number of photos he was shooting. The camera's JPG was nicer than the default RAW image and he just didn't have all the team to sharpen and adjust to get the RAWs back to that “starting point”. I pushed for the obvious JPG+RAW settings, but then he threw another curve ball. Once he went to JPG, he was also frustrated that his Canon 40D had worse JPG colors than his old Rebel XT did.

I could debate all this with him until I was blue in the face, but it raised a bigger question about Aperture for me. Would it be possible to create Presets that mimic'd a camera's internal processing? So rather than doubling up and importing 2 copies of every image (JPG/RAW) or being unhappy with the camera's processing, could an Aperture Preset be smart enough to be a “Rebel XT JPEG” preset or “Nikon D90”, so whatever camera you had you could start your imported Version with a good “look”?

Then he could have the best of both worlds, keeping his RAWs to do full editing on the gems, but having all the “snapshots” looking as he prefers by default.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 11, 2010 - 8:47am

Kevin,

Two answers here.

First, the reason his Rebel XT was “better” than the 40D is quite likely due to the color settings in the camera. If you look in the settings, you can change how colors are rendered for the JPEG on either of those cameras (as you can on probably any dSLR). If he looked at the settings for the Rebel and mimicked them in the 40D, he’s probably get very similar results. Look for the “Picture Style” settings.

Second, there are Canon picture style presets available on Mac Create, called Aperture 3 Presets - Simulated Canon Picture Styles which are… erm… um… currently unavailable. How odd. Well, google that, see if you can find ‘em available elsewhere!

He probably should just shoot RAW+JPEG and import with the JPEG as the Master, and have access to the RAW if he wants it, since he clearly doesn’t want to spend any time editing if he doesn’t have to. Sounds like the best solution to me (and of course set up the 40D to look like the Rebel).

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kevin Mantooth's picture
by Kevin Mantooth
November 11, 2010 - 10:20am

This is good stuff. Thanks.

So this implies Canon “Standard” is the same default for all of their EOS cameras. Is this truly the case? I honestly don’t think he tinkered with his old Rebel. He probably did more experimenting with the 40D, but I assume Standard would be the first he tried.

The RAW+JPG is the easy answer and I think he went this way. The RAW+presets though is a nice compromise and maintains the single image in the library.

thanks for the tip.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 11, 2010 - 11:27am

Kevin,

NO idea if the standard is standardized across all cameras. But it’s certainly worth a try. He quite likely found the setting when he first got the Rebel, set it to “Vivid” or something, and forgot entirely about it.

Those presets are now available, by the way. It was an issue with the store, and I notified them and they’ve fixed it. So head on over and get your Canon presets now! ;-)

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness